LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting existing LabView VI to NXG Web VI

Solved!
Go to solution

For my university masters project i am creating virtual versions of some circuits and an oscilloscope in LabView. I have created my VIs using LabView 2017, but would like to make them available online so that students can use them to do labs remotely. I have LabView NXG and the NXG web module add-on, but I am not sure how to convert the VIs I have created using normal LabView into WebVIs? Can I just open the normal labview VI files using the Web Module and they will automatically convert?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,433 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author katievega8

Hi katievega8,

It may be possible to convert portions of your LabVIEW application to LabVIEW NXG. The help documentation Migrating LabVIEW Source Code to LabVIEW NXG describes considerations for migration and how to use the Code Conversion Utility.

Some things to consider when converting your VIs:

- First try to migrate from LabVIEW desktop to LabVIEW NXG desktop

- Note that WebVIs have a limited palette compared to desktop and the application may need to be modified for the Web Server target. For example, WebVIs cannot communicate with hardware and support a subset of networking operations. Certain capabilities like File I/O or additional chart types may not be included in LabVIEW NXG Web Module and may be found in the NI discussion forums, Example Code forum, or from 3rd party JavaScript libraries.

- You may want to try and split your application into a Library component that can be shared across multiple targets, such as Desktop and the Web Server target. The Web Server target is used for WebVIs.

- You will have to re-create your top-level VIs as gviweb files. The gviweb files allow you to place HTML Controls that are designed for the Web instead of for Desktop. Try to put as much as possible into SubVIs so that the amount you have to recreate in Top-Level gviwebs is as small as possible.

In summary, it is possible to migrate some applications to LabVIEW NXG Web Module and you should expect to have to make some changes such as recreating your Top-Level VIs as gviweb documents and relying on the subset of features available in LabVIEW NXG and LabVIEW NXG Web Module.

Milan
Message 2 of 7
(3,392 Views)

I'm not able to help with your problem, but considering that NXG will be discontinued, I will give the advice to stick to classic LabVIEW and not convert your code to NXG.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,363 Views)

The LabVIEW NXG Web Module will continue as a standalone product!

You can see the roadmap in the post titled Future of the LabVIEW NXG Web Module. As always, you can continue to leverage WebVIs standalone or together with LabVIEW as shown in the WebVI examples. 🙂

Milan
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,359 Views)

Ah thank you this is good news.

My hope is to have these simulation VIs available for students to be able to access individually on their browsers without the need for LabView software or any add-ons, and so that what any person does on their VI does not affect anyone elses, and it seems that the Web Module is the only option for this?

I hope if I use the Web Module to create these VIs then students will be able to use them for years to come.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,338 Views)
so that what any person does on their VI does not affect anyone elses

Yep! Each user that opens a WebVI is running it in their own browser and does not effect other users. You would have to use tools like the HTTP communication VIs to manually communicate with other systems.

I hope if I use the Web Module to create these VIs then students will be able to use them for years to come.

A built WebVI is standard JavaScript, HTML, and CSS and does not rely on LabVIEW being installed to run. As it is built from standard web technologies a WebVI is likely to run on modern browsers for the foreseeable future. Built WebVIs can even be archived with tools like the Internet Archive Wayback Machine like this WebVI Fire simulation.

Milan
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,328 Views)

Hi,

I'm starting to read up on this topic and wonder if its possible for a Web App to communicate with an instrument - say through GPIB?

My initial reading into things is that it is not.. Am I correct here?

I have a suite of LV apps (2018) that I regularly share for operating test equipment over GPIB. It would be useful to share the application as a Web App so that users do not need to have LabVIEW installed. Also if I can point them to a URL, it will always ensure they are using the latest software version. (maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree here in what can be done!

Also open to suggestions on alternative methods for what I am thinking about.

TIA

B

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,742 Views)