LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting analog data to streaming UDP

Will the following work? We'd like Labview to sample an analog channel of data at 1MSPS and convert this into a UDP packet stream. The computer on the other side of the link will echo the packets back and Labview will reconvert them back into analog. The UDPs will be travelling over a difficult RF ethernet link - this is a way testing the link.

Does this seem reasonable? In particular, I would like the option of sending up to 10 copies of every UDP packet to ensure that at least one makes it back, with Labview discarding any duplicate packets. If Labview can add FEC (forward error correction) that would be every better.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,830 Views)

BenYL wrote:

Will the following work? We'd like Labview to sample an analog channel of data at 1MSPS and convert this into a UDP packet stream. The computer on the other side of the link will echo the packets back and Labview will reconvert them back into analog. The UDPs will be travelling over a difficult RF ethernet link - this is a way testing the link.

Does this seem reasonable? In particular, I would like the option of sending up to 10 copies of every UDP packet to ensure that at least one makes it back, with Labview discarding any duplicate packets. If Labview can add FEC (forward error correction) that would be every better.

Ben

A simple ping command can accomplish the same task.

In general if the ping works your idea should be possible.

(another) Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 2 of 4
(2,827 Views)

Ben,

Thanks! We have a particular reason for doing it this way - it sure isn't the easiest way to test a wireless link.

Another thing - ideally we would control the size of the UDP packets going out so they are all exactly 1472 bytes long. Since the sampling rate is constant, it seems like we should be able to engineer this, but I don't know.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,809 Views)
The only way to ensure that the packets you send out are the same length is to programaticallly ensure that the string length you send is always the same length.  Also I'm pretty sure that some header info is added when you use UDP communication.  You might want to run a few tests where you are monitoring how many bytes are sent based on the string length sent.
Regards,

Jon S.
National Instruments
LabVIEW NXG Product Owner
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,778 Views)