LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert 32 bits typedef to 64 bits LabVIEW

Hello, 

I'm trying to migrate a project to 64 bits labVIEW.

I wonder how to convert to 64 bits Type def (.ctl) created in 32bits labVIEW

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(1,142 Views)

Elaborate what you try to do. Generally if you have a typedef that for whatever reason needs to change the datatype you would simply open it (the *.ctl file itself) and make the change. But that is so trivial that I suspect your problem to be much more complicated.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(1,136 Views)

Thank you for your reply.

To be more precise, I have a project developped on labVIEW 32 bits and we need to migrate to LabVIEW 64 bits.

To build the .exe, some changes need to be done ( for example using 64 bits dll instead of 32 bits)....etc

but also, I'm not able to open Typedefs (.ctl) created in LV 32bits in LV 64 bits. 

So my objective in a first time is to be able to open or convert these types def developed in 32 bits in LabVIEW 64 bits.

I think I'm not able to open them because they are not loadded in my project See capture below 

ChakibMIMOUNI_0-1669905546804.png

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(1,094 Views)

That's not a typedef but a packed library. Packed libraries are precompiled for the platform in question and can only be loaded on that same platform. You will have to rebuild each lvlibp from the original lvlib and source code.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 4 of 9
(1,085 Views)

You show us a picture with tons of locked and "NOT loaded" lvlibp files (details). OTOH, you talk about typedefs. Can you explain in more detail?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(1,080 Views)

don't get mad, I was not able to open a type def and the source of the error is the lvlib that are not loadded ...

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(1,078 Views)

@ChakibMIMOUNI wrote:

Thank you for your reply.

To be more precise, I have a project developped on labVIEW 32 bits and we need to migrate to LabVIEW 64 bits.

To build the .exe, some changes need to be done ( for example using 64 bits dll instead of 32 bits)....etc

but also, I'm not able to open Typedefs (.ctl) created in LV 32bits in LV 64 bits. 

So my objective in a first time is to be able to open or convert these types def developed in 32 bits in LabVIEW 64 bits.

I think I'm not able to open them because they are not loadded in my project See capture below 

ChakibMIMOUNI_0-1669905546804.png

lvlibp files are compiled.  You'll have to recompile them in 64-bit LabVIEW to make them work.  You shouldn't have any problem with uncompiled source code because it will just compile in whatever bitness of LabVIEW that you are using at the moment.  I don't think you have to worry about your typedefs.

Edit: LOL I guess I'm the slow one in the group today.  🤣

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 7 of 9
(1,076 Views)

I think of a TypeDef as a "description of the data".  I don't think it matters if LabVIEW is 32-bit or 64-bit -- this has more to do with how memory is managed and how the CPU addresses memory.  When your data structures get up into the giga-byte range, you should probably run LabVIEW 64-bit, but for many LabVIEW applications, 32-bit LabVIEW (on a 64-bit Operating System!) works just fine.  I would expect code compiled with 32-bit LabVIEW to compile without significant (any?) changes on a machine running 64-bit LabVIEW.

I'll be interested to learn if I'm wrong about this ... (if so, it will probably involve Hardware, I suspect).

Bob Schor 

Message 8 of 9
(998 Views)

The typedef was a red haring. It couldn’t load it since it is contained in a packed library. But packed libraries are compiled and can only be loaded into LabVIEW if the platform and bitness are the same. So it’s a packed library problem and the OP needs to rebuild them in 64-bit LabVIEW.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 9 of 9
(986 Views)