LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ControlLogix String Data Type

Labview 2009/DSC

I’m having a hard time to create a bound variable to a AB ControlLogix string tag. I’m able to create a variable of a single character but this means I have to have 82 variables per string.

Is there a better way to do this.  I want to "Data Bind" the tag to a string control to have read and write access.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(6,372 Views)

JuergenO,

Hello! First of all, the document on our website, Connect LabVIEW to Any PLC Using OPC, is a great resource for applications like yours. If you haven't seen it before I reccomend taking a look at it.

The bound variable that you are creating. What data type is it? Is it a string data type?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Ben Sisney
FlexRIO V&V Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(6,347 Views)

Hi Ben,

Thanks for responding.

I don't have a problem with the opc server or connecting to the plc. The problem is the Controllogix String data type. The data type is a assembly of String.LEN = Datata type Int32 and String.Data = array of 82 Int8 (String.Data[0] - String.Data[82].

I can create a bound variable by selecting e.g. String.Data[0] which is the first char of my string. But i can't select String.Data and receive a variable with the complete string.

My bound variable is a string data type.

Is there a way to create a bound variable from String.Data?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(6,337 Views)

JuergenO,

Have you tried to make your Variable have the data type of an Array of Int8? You could then take the whole String.Data into LabVIEW.

Ben Sisney
FlexRIO V&V Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(6,321 Views)
Hi Ben, I did some more testing with the ControlLogix tags. I'm able to create a String Bound Variable if:1. The string is a single AB String tag2. The string is in a single dimensional array of AB String tag. I can't create a String Bound Variable if:1. The string is in a UDT (User Defined Data Type) 2. The string is in a 2 or more dimensional array of AB String tag. The strings I tried to read and write are embedded in UDT's which is a common way to group tags.

Is there anything I have to do different for UDT's and array's?

Thanks Juergen

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(6,296 Views)

JuergenO,

To make a bound variable to a 2D array of strings you'll have to follow the steps in this document:

How Do I Make a 2D Shared Variable?

As far as the UDT's go, it is my understanding that they are for readability purposes and are still a "real" (string, bool, I32, etc) datatype. As long as you know the underlying datatype, I would think you could still talk to it. However, it seems you're saying that a simple UDT (that is really a string, and not 2D) isn't working, but that same string not in a UDT does work. Is this Correct?

Ben Sisney
FlexRIO V&V Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(6,277 Views)