From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control of AC Motor through VFD with Modbus communication via Labview

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello everyone,

I need to control my three phase AC Motor thought VFD. I have already download the Modbus Library and I have written the initial code in the Labview.

I have seen similar post regarding controlling an AC motor with Modbus and Labview.

A very good post that I have read, have from the VFD manual the Modbus Decimal and Octal. In my VFD I dont have any of those. I am using the GK3000 VFD. In my case, I have info as the attached photo shows.

Any comment is appreciated. 

Regards,
Alexis

Alexis_Koul_0-1592198495046.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 37
(3,742 Views)

Hello,

The issue that you had 3 years ago is similar to mine today 😊.

I would like to ask you the following questions:
1)How do you decided the number of <<Write Single Holding Register>>?

2)The address and input data for each one of them?

Thank you!
Regards,
Alexis

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 37
(3,704 Views)

Hi Alexis,

so what is your actual problem?

Can you read any data from your VFD?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 3 of 37
(3,715 Views)

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. These are data from other VFD (attached photo)
In mine VFD manual, I dont have any of those.... The link below is the manual.

https://www.ato.com/Content/doc/GK3000-VFD-user-manual.pdf

Alexis_Koul_0-1592210582560.png

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 37
(3,710 Views)

Hi Alexis,

it's all explained in your manual, starting at chapter 9/page 128…

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 37
(3,706 Views)

Hello Gerd,

Thank you for you reply. Yes I have seen that but I cant find the Modbus decimal. Could you please be more specific which part of the pages that you told me to emphasize?

Thank you for your help.

Alex

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 37
(3,703 Views)

Hi Alexis,

that VFD is set to ASCII mode by default. Usually Modbus/RTU is used with serial ports, so you have to change this setting on your VFD.

Starting from page 128 the messages and supported commands are described, with an example for ASCII and RTU mode each. The VFD only supports the Read and Write commands, and for both you just have to give the register number you want to access - as explained in the example data structures in that manual…

(Please don't start the discussion about your problem in several places: keep information in just one place/thread!)

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 37
(3,695 Views)

Hello GerdW,

First let me thank you for taking the time to reply on my questions. Regarding the post of the other person, he/she putted the following:

Alexis_Koul_0-1592221265631.png

I cannot understand why he/she added 5 "write single holding", and how you come in the idea that you need 5....

Also the input data and the address is changing for each one of those. How you are coming in those values..??

Will be extremely glad if you can answer me those questions.

-Alex

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 37
(3,685 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Alexis_Koul

Hi Alexis,

@Alexis_Koul wrote:

I cannot understand why he/she added 5 "write single holding", and how you come in the idea that you need 5....
Also the input data and the address is changing for each one of those. How you are coming in those values..??

This other person is writing 5 different values to 5 different registers/addresses.

Why did (s)he do this? Probably there was a requirement to set just 5 registers to specific values…

Where did (s)he get the register address from? Most probably from the manual of the device…

Your manual also list several addresses and their meaning. Just use them!

Best regards,
GerdW

Message 9 of 37
(3,681 Views)

I'm attaching a vi that I built in order to set the speed for a Nidec M200 VFD through modbus com protocol. 
I used usb to 485 converter. 

it might be useful for you. 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 37
(3,669 Views)