cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control VisualAnalog with labview

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

We have bought a AD9643 which came with a FPGA based FIFO capture board from Analog Devices, since they just serve a software called VisualAnalog to read the data and control the ADC board. Can I manage to control this software in Labview? 

We just need to do some easy control like start, stop and get the data. 

I tried ActiveX method, but when I am trying to insert the ActiveX object, can not find any related objects.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,452 Views)

Hey Martin,

Our LabVIEW FPGA is not compatible with third party FPGA hardware. If you are trying to read data from a third party FPGA device you will, unfortunately, not be able to do so with LabVIEW.

Sorry,

Doug B

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,435 Views)

Thank you very much for your reply!

We are thinking to just control the software. Since their data will be saved in a Excel file, we just want to control the software to start read the data and stop read the data, save it to a spread sheet. The labview software will be the client and Visual Analog will work as server. The FPGA configuration part will leave to the Visual Analog. Will this be possible?

Best 

Tuo

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,432 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Martin861119

Hey Martin,

I am not particularly familiar with Visual Analog but LabVIEW is usually pretty good at communicating with third party software. You said that you have tried making calls via ActiveX (which would have been my first try also) and that didn't seem to work. Below I have included a link to an article that should be helpful when trying to interface with other software via LabVIEW.

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/10060

Hope This Helps,

Doug B

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,415 Views)

I checked the NI website again, there are some modules for Xilinx FPGA in Labview 2011. 

Since the data capture board we bought from the Analog Devices is a FPGA based FIFO board with Virtex-4, will it possible to control this FPGA board through the modules provided by NI even though the board is developed by a thirdparty company?

Thank you very much! 

Best 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,403 Views)

Hey Martin,

LabVIEW FPGA does not cleanly interface with non-NI hardware, even if the board you are using has the same FPGA chip. Sorry about that.

Good Luck,

Doug B

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,388 Views)

Alright think you

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,386 Views)