LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control USB power

Hello,

I use the USB port as power supply for a LED. Is there a way to turn on/off the power of the USB port using Labview?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,955 Views)
OK. I'll ask: Why would you want to do this? This is a fundamental motherboard operation in terms of controlling the USB power. Perhaps an alternate solution would be better? What are you trying to do?
Message 2 of 10
(4,952 Views)

I'm developing a portable low-cost setup for fluorescence visualization. I need to use a blue LED (continuously) and a green LED alternatively. I want to use the power of the USB port instead of an external battery. First I thought to switch on/off the green LED using a mosfet transistor controlled by the serial port but the current/voltage characteristic avoid this solution. So I thought that maybe there is an easy way to control the USB power with Labview.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,945 Views)
Switching off the USB power is not a good idea. Doing so would disable all USB devices, like a keyboard and/or mouse, as well as anything else that's plugged in. I could suggest using the parallel port (if you have one), but you need to keep in mind that if you wire up something incorrectly you'll likely fry the motherboard. You can also get USB-based IO interface products which would suit your needs. Do a Google search and you'll find a bunch. For example:
http://www.eidusa.com/Interface_Boards_USB_6_IO.htm
http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-11196-0.html?forumID=51&threadID=176185&messageID=1791154
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,920 Views)
Thank you for your help. I'll look for a USB-based IO interface products.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,918 Views)
I have experience with the IO warrior from codemercs. There a kits available that have place for custom circuitery and it is powered by the USB bus. Big plus to me is that there are working LV drivers available.Smiley Very Happy

Message Edited by andre.buurman@carya on 12-11-2007 08:32 PM
Regards,
André (CLA, CLED)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,905 Views)
another link:
------- LabVIEW 2009, So Easy, Even a Therapist Can Do It -------
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,900 Views)

Hello,

I would suggest using a National Instruments USB 6008.  I have attached the product page below.  Please view the data sheet for this product.  If you would like I can also help connect you with an Internal Sales Representative if you post an email or phone number.  If not, also feel free to contact National Instruments yourself.  I have linked a page with our sales and tech support numbers. 

NI USB-6008

Contact NI

Samantha
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,869 Views)

robin84 wrote:

I'm developing a portable low-cost setup for fluorescence visualization. I need to use a blue LED (continuously) and a green LED alternatively. I want to use the power of the USB port instead of an external battery. First I thought to switch on/off the green LED using a mosfet transistor controlled by the serial port but the current/voltage characteristic avoid this solution. So I thought that maybe there is an easy way to control the USB power with Labview.

if you were ready to invest into a home built solution using mosfets, there are much simpler solutions, involving a 5V from the serial or parallel port: 5V power supply on a pnp transistor. this will drive any LED you trow at it.

otherwise go for a USB6008 as proposed. very simple, cheap and robust.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
... And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wires...
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,860 Views)
If all you need to do is turn LEDs on and off, then a USB6501 will let you turn on and off 24 LEDs all day long without too much trouble.  It is also $60 cheeper than the USB6008.  Of corse, the USB6008 is probably a much better deal depending on if you need the analog inputs/outputs.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,855 Views)