LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control String to show what indicator string says?

Solved!
Go to solution

A little backstory. So I implemented a Read Text File Function, which retrieves a text document and displays it in an indicator string. But I want to be able to edit the text once it's in that string. You know, just like any regular opened Word document. 

But the Read Text File Function can only display things on an indicator string. I change the string to a Control and the wire breaks going from the function to the string. 

I haven't been able to find some function or method which feeds the info from the indicator string to the control string like I would want.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,521 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ShogunOrta

Create a Local Variable for the control string by using the right-click Create -> Local Variable option.

Connect this Local Variable to the Read Text File Function.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the forum when you get help. Click the "Solution?" icon on the reply that answers your
question. Give "Kudos" to replies that help.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,516 Views)

Thanks, but actually I meant the other way around. Not the Control giving info to the Indicator, but the Indicator giving info to the Control.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,474 Views)

You may need to explain a bit more what you're going for.

From your description, it sounds like you're looking for exactly what steve describes.

LocalVar.png

This loads the text into the control and now lets you edit the loaded text if you desire.

Message 4 of 5
(2,466 Views)

Hey it worked!! Sorry, I guess I didn't visualize your suggestion in my mind well enough. But second go around it made sense, I implemented it, and I'm in business again! Thanks. Makes my project tons better.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,447 Views)