From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting LabVIEW to Arduino through Latte Panda

Hello Community!

I am currently trying to use LabVIEW to run Arduino that is implanted on a latte panda. On the latte panda I have downloaded and am running labview 2020 community edition. By using the makerhub Linx tool I was able to connect to an external Arduino board by using firmware wizard and used the pre-built firmware upload type . However when I try to connect it to the internal Arduino Leonardo using the same method labview doesn't seem to recognize it. Has anyone else faced this problem and know if its even possible to make this work? Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(4,924 Views)

hola...... 

no podrás cargar el sketch que cargas desde la interfaz de labview en el arduino leonardo interno.

para poder utilizar el arduino leonardo que integra lattepanda con labview:

primero debes localizar el archivo  que labview carga en el arduino . El archivo lo buscas obviamente en el directorio de labview. No recuerdo muy bien el nombre pero es un archivo con extensión (.hex)

después de encontrar el archivo lo copias en otra carpeta para utilizarlo con algún otro software que cargue archivos (.hex) en microcontroladores hay muchos  por lo menos los que e usado funcionan todos..

el arduino interno del lattepanda tiene asignado un puerto com X   en tu programa debes asignar este puerto y corres tu programación  y listo¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

veras que en el lattepanda se encienden los leds blanco y otro azul indicando que la comunicación a sido establecida sin problemas 

saludosssss

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(4,457 Views)

Romanes,

I really appreciate your response and sorry for responding so late, However I have an update. I have two versions of the latte panda. I have a V1 and I have an alpha 864s. The interesting thing is that on the V1, I downloaded LabVIEW community and then used the toolkit to load the firmware onto the internal Arduino and it worked. I can successfully connected to the board and read analog signals perfectly. However with the Alpha I can not. I tried doing the same procedure and yet it seems to not connect the serial port to in the internal Arduino  

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(4,208 Views)

That serial port is something that is out of control of LabVIEW and Linx. If the system doesn't properly recognize the serial port as such and doesn't install it as a standard COM port in your Device Manager, then NI VISA and consequently any other tool including the firmware wizard can't find it either.

I suspect that your Alpha board has either an installation problem, is missing the correct serial port driver, or uses a buggy serial port chip that was fixed on the V1 version.

Make the serial port first properly show up in the Windows Device Manager without any exclamation marks and as a Serial Port COM resource and then everything should be fine. But that is Windows installation stuff and has nothing to do with LabVIEW.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(4,184 Views)

The issue could be in a couple of places.  The first is like Rolfk suggested.  Make sure the serial port is seen in the Device Manager, drivers are loaded, port seen in MAX, and maybe even run the Simple Serial example from the Help >> Find Examples in LabVIEW to confirm that the port is there and is working.

If that all checks out I'd then suspect the firmware LINX downloaded might not be an appropriate type.  I know the on board Arduino is an ATMEGA32U4 which should be the Leonardo so you are right to try that.  Maybe download the Arduino IDE and see if you can download some program to the built in Arduino first.  If that doesn't work then LabVIEW won't be able to talk to it.

Also thanks for trying this out, I've been interested in getting a Latte Panda and loading LabVIEW on it for some simple HMI stuff and was wondering if there would be any issues.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(4,173 Views)

Rolf,

Yes thank you, Im still investigating whether this is a LabVIEW issue or Panda. In Device manager the COM is present and without error. I have used the Arduino IDE to write code and read a signal and it works fine. The COM shows up, I choose the correct board (Leo) and then upload the sketch. I will try to uninstall and install NI VISA and see if this solves the issue. Thanks for your response

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(4,160 Views)

Hooovah,

Thanks for your response. As mentioned above I have tried the Arduino IDE and it works fine, however I have not check if it is seen in MAX, I will try now. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes I thought it would be very exciting! I usually use an Intel Nuc with a USB-6003 DAQ, but for smaller projects I was hoping for a one piece hardware solution. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(4,157 Views)

Update:

After reinstalling NI VISA I attempted to connect and configure the Leo and in the VISA test panel it was successfully able to connect and receiving the standard command. I attached two photos one showing the NI Max and one showing the log after firmware claims it finished. The mystery continues.  

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(4,142 Views)

@Ziadeh wrote:

Update:

After reinstalling NI VISA I attempted to connect and configure the Leo and in the VISA test panel it was successfully able to connect and receiving the standard command. I attached two photos one showing the NI Max and one showing the log after firmware claims it finished. The mystery continues.  

Well first thing you are never going to "see" the Arduino in NI-MAX, all you will ever see is the (virtual) com port that it uses

Second only IEEE 488.2 compliant devices will respond to a IEEE 488.2 "common command" like *IDN?

I am guessing there is a compatibility problem with the virtual serial port driver and your Panda's USB chipset.

Have you tried this on another computer?

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(4,138 Views)

Very interesting.  At one point LINX had the firmware available for the devices.  This was so that you could make changes and add features to the firmware.  I'd see if you can find that source code, open it in the Arduino IDE and download it to the device.  Then maybe the LINX API in LabVIEW can talk to it.  And yes my suggestion to test in MAX wasn't really to test the communication because as RTSLVU mentioned it won't respond to anything, but it is recognized in MAX and its drivers seem correct.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(4,128 Views)