cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Communication via USB cable between 2 PCs

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I currently trying to send an input that I put from computer A to be output in computer B. I can only use USB ports and a USB cable. My main problem now is how to establish a connection/communication to the other computer? I tried reading in the forum but got confuse on how to use it. Anyone had a simple method on how I could do it? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,469 Views)

Hi ahmed,

@ahmedmaken wrote:

I currently trying to send an input that I put from computer A to be output in computer B. I can only use USB ports and a USB cable.

This is NOT SUPPORTED by default USB ports of typical computers!

Infact you may damage one or both computers when connecting them via USB cable!

@ahmedmaken wrote:

My main problem now is how to establish a connection/communication to the other computer?

Anyone had a simple method on how I could do it? 

What about using a simple (direct) LAN connection between your two computers?

What about an old-fashioned RS232 connection between your computers?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,462 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Just to expand on that a tiny bit -- you could outfit both PC's with a USB-to-RS232 adapter.  Folks around here advocate the ones that use the FTDI chipset.  This makes use of the physically available USB ports, but lets you communicate with regular serial which is *much* simpler than dealing with USB at the low level you would need.  

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,452 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ahmedmaken

@Kevin_Price wrote:

@GerdW wrote:

Just to expand on that a tiny bit -- you could outfit both PC's with a USB-to-RS232 adapter.  Folks around here advocate the ones that use the FTDI chipset.  This makes use of the physically available USB ports, but lets you communicate with regular serial which is *much* simpler than dealing with USB at the low level you would need.  

Exactly what I was going to suggest.  I am personally a fan of StarTech devices.  The industrial USB-Serial adapters I like (4 port) use a TI chipset.  For a much less expensive route, Trendnet's TU-S9 has also been very reliable for me even with a Prolific chipset.

So with 2 USB-RS232 adapters and a NULL Modem cable, you can have two computers talk over a simple COM port.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,416 Views)

Why is "USB to USB" a requirement?  Every computer I know of has some kind of networking capability.  "I can only use..." the way this is worded, it sounds either like a homework problem or a slight case of language barrier.  At any rate, if you can tell us why you have such a constraint, we may be able to find a better solution for you.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,398 Views)

As already mentioned this is not a standard supported feature of the USB bus. USB was designed as a point to point, controller and servant connection. One side, also called the host, is the controller while the other side is the servant and device. There used to be even a physical distinction with the host using the rectangle USB-A connector and the device using a square USB-B connector, and the whole USB protocol is very centered around the fact that one side is the controller (and bus negotiator) and the other side is the device which just sits there and does nothing else out of itself than signalling its presence to the controller.

The whole software stack in your computer is designed to provide this controller functionality and to operate a USB port in a computer as a device requires quite special software drivers that are not standard built in in many OSes.

Also you will be hard pressured to find USB cables with both an USB-A connector on each side, just as there are no cables with an USB-B connector on both sides, simply because USB was never designed to work between two hosts or two devices. With USB-C the physical distinction has gone away, but the logical distinction is still very much there, baked into every major OS from 25 years of USB adoption.

Smartphones take a bit of a special position here. Traditionally their USB connector is operated in device mode as it was quite common to want to connect them to your computer USB-A connector, which is always a host connector. But smartphone manufacturers also found it useful to let a smartphone connect to other smartphones or devices and for that they developed the USB OTG (On The Go) functionality where the USB port can adapt to the other side, working either in host, device or OTG mode). But there are no OTG USB interfaces for computers AFAIK. There may be some in the future as USB-C is physically very much able to connect together but that will take some time to appear as a standard feature in computers.

If your two computers have an RJ-45 Ethernet connector, it would be easier to configure them both with a static network address in the same subnet and just connect them together. You don't even need a special cable for that since all Ethernet controllers in the last 10 to 15 years support Auto MDI-X, which will detect internally if the communication pairs need to be swapped, making the requirement for an external null-modem cable or crossed cable unnecessary. To talk over these you simply use the built in TCP or UDP nodes in LabVIEW, or you can also use VISA if you want to only use TCP and want to make it easily switchable to a RS-232 connection instead. 

If that is not an option, I would use two USB-RS232 adapters, as was already proposed, and connect them together. Here you will need a null-modem cable as RS-232 doesn't support auto negotiation of wire functions. To talk over these you can then use VISA functions in LabVIEW.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,382 Views)

You can use WiSer's SKU variant WS-UU-EN, a plug-and-play solution which allows wireless serial communication between 2 host systems.
For more information visit the website.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(1,053 Views)

Please read the Hackaday project log which explains how to use WiSer for communication between 2 host systems.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(1,036 Views)

@dhrumil0812 wrote:

You can use WiSer's SKU variant WS-UU-EN, a plug-and-play solution which allows wireless serial communication between 2 host systems.
For more information visit the website.

Looks like a cool little device, but I'm not sure if bumping threads from 2021 where wireless was never stated as a requirement is a particularly effective way to advertise your project.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(1,013 Views)