cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Communication between VIs

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I am working on a spectrometer project. I have created two vis, one for the spectrometer and other for the current source of the spectrometer. When I run the spectrometer vi, I want spectrometer vi to run a specific function in the current source vi, that is to turn the current source on to supply power to the spectrometer. For this, I have created two separate classes which contain each of the vis. So I need to achieve the above mentioned that is to make the current source supply power to the spectrometer just by running the spectrometer vi. So what is the best way for this? Can I just use my amateur LabVIEW skills to try and communicate between subvis by connecting the terminals or should I use the actor framework? I have never worked with actor framework before and I am trying to learn that and I find it really complex. Also, there is a 3rd part coming later where I have to program a CNC robot that automatically changes the led after the spectrometer has done the measurement. So I need communication between all the 3 vis for the spectrometer, current source and CNC robot. So what is the best way to do that, considering the fact that I am not a pro LabVIEW programmer. Kindly reply. Thanking you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,437 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author govindsankar

Actor Framework would be a good way to do this.  But if you don't want to dive all the way down that rabbit hole, do a search for Queued Message Handler.  The idea is that you have a loop that just accepts commands via a queue and does whatever it has to from there.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 2
(2,410 Views)