LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Command lines when using System Exec

I am trying to install both LabView.exe's and other external applications by running either the "Setup.exe" (created using Microsoft Windows Installer) or the install.msi file from the System Exec. I am using Windows 2000. Ideally these would run silently so that the user does not have to interact with dialog boxes during the installation. The LabView Installations do not require a system reboot while the external applications will.

I have the list of standard installer command line options from the MicroSoft web site. The issue is I cannot seem to format them correctly for the System Exec to run them properly. Currently my command line looks like: "cmd \x\c start "file path\name.ext". This works for running the interactive version of the installation. I tried adding \quiet behind the start command but that lead to the opening and immediate closing of the cmd window without installing the application.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

BethV
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,133 Views)
I think it's questionable where to put the option for msiexec, as it's never explicitly invoked.
May be using a more explicit command format, like
cmd \x\c start msiexec /i /quiet "file path\name.ext"
would help. Have you already tried?

Paolo
Paolo
-------------------
LV 7.1, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2021
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,117 Views)
Your command line, "cmd \x\c start "file path\name.ext", has three quotes, an odd number. Can't have an odd number of quotes. If you have spaces in your file name or path name, you have to enclose the entire path in quotes. Then you may have to enclose the entire command line in quotes also, sort of like "cmd \x\c start "file path\name.ext"". Don't know if this will work, try it. Whoever came up with the idea that it is OK to put spaces in file and path names ought to be hung, shot, and burned. This has caused nightmares for programmers.
- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,108 Views)
I thank both of your for your suggestions. I have actually figured out the correct command line to wire into the System Exec. To run a silent installation from an installation package created using Windows Installer the command line sent to System Exec needs to be ("C:\WINNT\system32\msiexec.exe" /q /i "Path to install file\install.msi"). This will run a silent installation. To run an interactive installation you provide the same command line without the /q. Any additional command parameters, such as the "silent install" command of /q shown here, must occur prior to the install command (/i) or you will receive an "Invalid Command Parameter" error.

If anyone else needs further command lines for Windows Installer they can be found by going to http://msdn.microsoft.com and searching the MSDN Library for "Windows Installer Command Line Options"
Message 4 of 5
(3,094 Views)

@tbob wrote:
Your command line, "cmd \x\c start "file path\name.ext", has three quotes, an odd number. Can't have an odd number of quotes. If you have spaces in your file name or path name, you have to enclose the entire path in quotes. Then you may have to enclose the entire command line in quotes also, sort of like "cmd \x\c start "file path\name.ext"". Don't know if this will work, try it. Whoever came up with the idea that it is OK to put spaces in file and path names ought to be hung, shot, and burned. This has caused nightmares for programmers.

I think the first quote (and the missing end quote) are only here to distinguish the actual command line from the rest of the text. They are not needed to pass to the System Exec.vi and in fact might cause troubles.

Another better way to represent such command lines or similar I just learned would be to enclose the command in the <pre> and </pre> keywords, which would look like this
cmd \x\c start "file path\name.ext

Rolf Kalbermatter

Message Edited by rolfk on 06-30-2005 03:27 AM

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,084 Views)