From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combo box scaling problem.

It looks like leaving a breadcrumb trail here for others may help, as I just had to solve this problem.

As previously mentioned, if you don't need to have the user actually type information into the text field, then just use a Ring Control (drop-down menu, but can't enter text).

If you must also have the ability for the user to enter text, then you need a ComboBox.  To add this, in the panel uir file you go: right-click > Custom Controls > Toolslib Controls > Combo Box.  Really, this only inserts a String control into your panel.  You still have to instantiate the combo box using Combo_NewComboBox(panel, ctrl);  then you have to destroy it using Combo_DiscardComboBox(panel, ctrl); when you are done.  These functions come from including the combobox.h file.

When you use the Combo_NewComboBox function, under the hood combobox.c will actually create two additional controls in the CreateRing function: a Ring control and a Frame control.  Even if you are moving/sizing the original String control using Splitters, when these new controls are NOT attached to your splitter when they come in.  To move/size them correctly, you need access to the control handles (newRing and outline).  To do this, I commented out the newRing and outline variables inside the CreateRing function in combobox.c.  Then I called these variables out in a SharedGlobalVars.h file:

/* Ctrl IDs for new ComboBox controls */
int newRing;
int outline;
int gRingWidth;

(You will have put #include "SharedGlobalVars.h" in your combobox.h file, and initialize newRing and outline in the CreateRing function.)

Add in combobox.c:
gRingWidth = GetRingWidth(panel,control);

Add lines similar to these in your code:
//Attach newly-created elements of the combo box to be moved/sized by splitters.  THIS HAS NO FRAME OF REFERENCE UNLESS YOU SET THE ATTR_TOP of the controls.
AddCtrlToSplitter(panel, hSplit1, VAL_TOP_ANCHOR, newRing, 1, 1);
AddCtrlToSplitter(panel, hSplit1, VAL_TOP_ANCHOR, outline, 1, 1);

SetCtrlAttribute(panel, newRing, ATTR_LEFT, Lbox - gRingWidth);
SetCtrlAttribute(panel, outline, ATTR_LEFT, Lbox - gRingWidth);
SetCtrlAttribute(panel, outline, ATTR_WIDTH, Wbox + gRingWidth);

//Set newRing and outline control positions to be the same as the top of the combo box ctrl, which is already attached to a splitter.
GetCtrlAttribute(panel, MyComboBox, ATTR_TOP, &Tbox); //This is actually the String control.
SetCtrlAttribute(panel, newRing, ATTR_TOP, Tbox);
SetCtrlAttribute(panel, outline, ATTR_TOP, Tbox);

This made all of the ComboBox elements move and scale together.  I hope that helps.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 11
(370 Views)