From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coercian dots

Solved!
Go to solution

Is there any way to find out why you have a coercion in a type def??  I have a control type def with a number ( lots) of elements in it and an indicator type def.  I made a copy of the control type def  then changed it to an indicator.  When I connect the control to the indicator type defs I get a coercion dot.  The type defs are clusters of numbers, Booleans etc.

Thanks..

Can not post code. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,599 Views)

You could create a control or constant from the VI that you are getting the coercion dot on. It should show you what format it is expecting. I am assuming that you know what you are feeding it.

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,592 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Clint1000

@Clint1000 wrote:

Is there any way to find out why you have a coercion in a type def??  I have a control type def with a number ( lots) of elements in it and an indicator type def.  I made a copy of the control type def  then changed it to an indicator.  When I connect the control to the indicator type defs I get a coercion dot.  The type defs are clusters of numbers, Booleans etc.

Thanks..

Can not post code. 

There must be something else going on there.  If you made a copy of a control and changed it to an indicator, it is such a straight lineage I don't see why there would be a coercion dot.

You probably have nothing to worry about.  But if you are still curious, attach the VI and the control file so others can look at it.

Message 3 of 7
(2,586 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

@Clint1000 wrote:

Thanks..

Can not post code. 

You probably have nothing to worry about.  But if you are still curios, attach the VI and the control file so others can look at it.

You can always "change names to protect the innocent", i.e. make a copy of the TypeDef and change the element names to "I32-1, Dbl-1, String-1, ...".  This should still have the "coercion" problems you are worried about (though that seems strange, unless you, yourself, made a mistake when building the TypeDef, such as dropping a Numeric that you incorrectly assumed was an I32 when it was really a Dbl, or something like that).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,580 Views)

So there isn't anything like hovering my cursor over the dot and getting an explanation like you do when you have a broken wire?

Thanks.. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,551 Views)

You can hover over the wire and see the data structure in the context help window.

You can hover over the control and the indicator.

You'll have to do that and compare the differences in what is shown.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,540 Views)

Are you actually opening the typedef, copying the control that is inside, then pasting it somewhere else?  That's the only way I can see the created object having a coercion dot.

Edit: I think I misread something along the way.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,521 Views)