From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clone a controller with Hypervisor Installed

Solved!
Go to solution

All,

Is it possible (i.e... safe) to clone a controller? In this case it's a NI PXIe-8133.

Thanks

Carmine

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,505 Views)

Yes it is possible and I have in fact done so but.  1 word of caution.  Licenses!  make sure you fix any software licenses.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,503 Views)

To add on to the previous comment, yes it is possible to clone a Hypervisor controller. We have some guidelines published on the topic in the following white paper: Best Practice for Backing Up, Restoring, and Replicating NI Real-Time Hypervisor Systems. Please do note the comment on licensing as well -- for a typical Windows Hypervisor controller, this typically means having at least the following licenses for the clone: Windows OS license, LabVIEW Real-Time Deployment License, and an NI Real-Time Hypervisor Deployment License.

Sanjay C.
Embedded Software Product Manager| National Instruments
Message 3 of 7
(2,496 Views)

Why is licensing such a problem? Could they not be added later?

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,482 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author CarmineS
It is not a problem. It is a leagle requirement. It can become a problem when the end user says "OK this system works-I do not need to do all that booring stuff like appling licenses"

guess who is also going to court when the license violations are noticed? yup the person who installed the illegal copies.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 5 of 7
(2,477 Views)

As I read the tutorial for backing up the system it made sense about the license. 

Let me restate (clarify) the issue:

I want to clone the controller so that I can restore the same system back to the same controller in the event of a problem. It was not intended to build extra systems on other controllers.

Thanks for the help

Message 6 of 7
(2,464 Views)

If the purpose is to create a backup so that you can restore back to the same controller, you don't need to worry about the licensing as you should already have it all in place. You'll need to watch out for documenting licensing if you are going to be replicating systems.

Sanjay C.
Embedded Software Product Manager| National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,458 Views)