From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Server Communication

Hi Everyone,

There are different communication methods in labview as there are

Shared vars, OPC, TCP/IP(STM), CVT Client communication

but my question is :

What client/server communication do you prefer and why?

thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,744 Views)

It's generally not up to me to have a preference.  I have to work with the protocol chosen by the designer of the devices I'm communicating with.  When I do have a choice I like VISA for talking to test instuments and TCP/IP for talking to computer-based devices. 

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,731 Views)

For talking between my cRIO and PC, I bounce between Network Steams and TCP/IP (STM).  Of cource it depends on exactly what I have to pass between the two systems.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,713 Views)

You are right the protocol is usually determined by the customer or by the equipment, but sometimes I get the question, "What do I prefer?"

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,633 Views)

I never used Network streams, so I will give it a try to compare. thanks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,631 Views)