LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Access License use for Ethernet Devices

I am not sure if this is the correct board for this question, but here it is anyways.

In trying to set up a lab monitoring system I ran across a question about Client Access Licenses. The plan is to set up about 4 - 24 port Ethernet switches for Ethernet devices to communicate back to a windows server station. On this windows server station will be a labview program that will monitor and log the data being collected though the Ethernet devices. In addition we are going to use this server as a raid data storage hub for test systems in the lab.

In investigating the computer system we decided that a windows server 2008 r2 would probably work well in this environment. The problem I have is that the documentation for the server software states that each user/device will require a Client Access License. Does this mean that each Ethernet connection requires it own Client Access License? If you read the Wikipedia explanation of Client Access License, it appears that you need a license for each device. Maybe I am reading it wrong and would like to know how others view this.

Thanks

Bill Lane

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,336 Views)

Are you asking about Microsoft client licenses or NI licenses?

If you are running a single LabVIEW application that will communicate with 96 Ethernet connected devices, then I think you should only need one Microsoft license for the LabVIEW application to run in. I know there are limitations on specific versions of LabVIEW running on MS servers, The LV 2010 release notes state that you can run on Windows server 2003 32 bit and Windows Server 2008 64 bit.

I would definitely contact your local NI rep and get help selecting the correct combination of LV and Windows Server before getting too far along in your project.

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,329 Views)