LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class Hierarchy window scrolling bug

Solved!
Go to solution

Using LV2012, the Class Hierarchy window keeps scrolling back to the origin, or to the last selected class (but only if selected by clicking its show/hide children arrow).  This makes the window pretty much unusable, and I presume is a bug.  Even if it keeps reloading and redrawing the class hierarchy (every 2-3 seconds?), it shouldn't scroll the window when it does so.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(4,169 Views)

Hi GregS,

I tried to reproduce the behavior you were observing but was not able to do so. Could you provide detailed steps? Does the same thing happen if you restart LabVIEW?

Regards,

Matthew B.
Offering Manager
NI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(4,136 Views)

Yes, same thing after restarting LabVIEW.  I just open a Project with lots of classes (on multiple targets), and then the Hierarchy Window.  The window refreshes every 3-5 seconds, and shifts the view back to show a selected class.

However it doesn't occur at all with the same Project on another roughly equivalent machine - both LV 12.0.1f3 (32 bit) on Windows 7 x64.  I can't think of any significant differences between the two setups, but I'll check that.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(4,124 Views)

Hi Greg-

Is it possible that the PC you're on has the auto-run shortcut remapped to a single key, and that key is stuck?  I see behavior similar to what you've described when holding ctrl+r (redo layout in the class hierarchy window).

Long shot, but I got hung up a while back trying to figure out why *everything* in a drop-down was selected when I clicked on one item- turned out the shift key was stuck.

Regards,

Tom L.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(4,120 Views)

Is it possible that the PC you're on has the auto-run shortcut remapped to a single key, and that key is stuck?  I see behavior similar to what you've described when holding ctrl+r (redo layout in the class hierarchy window).

No, I'm pretty sure that's not the case.  If it was, then all my VIs would be continuously running!  Also, there's a 3-5 second delay between each refresh.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(4,114 Views)

I am seeing the same auto-scrolling back to center behavior with the VI Hierarchy window in 2012 SP1. Pretty annoying and makes using the Window pretty useless.  Would love to hear of a fix or way to disable the scroll.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(4,046 Views)

Hi Imaginatics,

Do you have many classes in the project you try to use the VI Hierarchy window in? I'm guessing these are classes that you have written, but I just wanted to confirm. The default shortcut to redraw the VI Hierarchy window is Ctrl+D; do you have any hotkeys mapped to this shortcut?

Regards,

Matthew B.
Offering Manager
NI
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(4,031 Views)

1. There are no classes in this code base.  This is legacy code I have been asked to update. Classic "thinking in C, writing in LabVIEW" style, nested sequences in every VI, no error handling (or terminals) and both data and commands done almost entirely through native globals.

I have been adding in Error Terminals and refactoring the VI's internal code to capture errors. As I do, I also edit the icon, adding a project banner on the bottom 1/4.

I was trying to use the VI Hierarchy window to scan through the VIs to see which ones had the icon change and which ones I still had to do, but the auto-scrolling nixed that.

2. I don't think there are any hot keys assigned, but I will check when I get back on the machine.

I noted a new behavior yesterday.  I closed up some of the branches of the hierarchy tree, if they all had new icons, and eventually, the auto-scrolling behavior changed, it forced me to the bottom of the tree, instead of the top.  Eventually as I closed off more branches, that behavior reversed again and forced me back up to the top.  I'll try to see if that is repeatable today and also check the hotkeys.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(4,028 Views)

Hi Imaginatics,

Were you able to replicate the issue? How many VIs make up the code base?

Regards,

Matthew B.
Offering Manager
NI
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(4,006 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author GregSands

I have found one cause of this phenomena.  I have VSI's TSVN Toolkit package installed.  In the settings, there is a, 'Auto-Refresh' checkbox and a rate.  I believe it is defaulted to checked and 5 seconds.  I have unchecked the feature.  However, every time I open the VSI TSVN Settings, it causes the hierarchy to update.

I hope this helps others with the same problem.  I am going to try to send VSI a note about this.

-Kurt

Message 10 of 14
(3,969 Views)