LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check if file/folder exists can't see file 32 bit Labview 2015 on Windows 7 64 bit

I have a vi that searches for a file on C:\FolderA\FolderB using "Check if File or Folder Exists.vi." It can't see the file and returns with a FALSE (does not exist) when it is clearly there. I've tried to change permissions, but every time Labview 32-bit 2015 checks, the permissions seem to change back. I'm wondering if this has something to do with the fact that I'm running on a 64 bit Windows 7. I haven't found any posts that go into Labview not being able to see a file in this way.

I am also trying to run a batch file following this. Wondering if I need to run as admin for that but haven't made it that far yet.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,002 Views)

I cannot test the VI you failed to post, but I have LabVIEW 2012, 2014, 2015, and 2016 (all 32-bits) running on my 64-bit Windows 7 and have never seen this problem.  This has to be a rather frequently-used function, so I cannot think that it is truly faulty -- a more parsimonious assumption is that either your code is "wrong" (cannot judge, as cannot see, cannot test) or there is something very unusual about your environment (again, no code to test).

Here's what I did:

• Created FolderA on C:, and FolderB in FolderA.
  • Left FolderB empty.
  • Ran the code shown below.
  • It returned "Folder Exists", an empty Filenames Array, and no Error.
  • Put "Hello, World.txt" inside FolderB.
  • Repeated the Experiment.
  • Got the same results, with the Filenames Array showing "Hello, World.txt".

Since you have the VI That Fails, what are you doing differently?

Folder Exists.png

Bob Schor

Message 2 of 7
(2,992 Views)

@lmayer22 wrote:

Wondering if I need to run as admin for that but haven't made it that far yet.

Please don't start conspiracy theories about windows bitness. Yes, permissions could be a problem, depending on where the file is located. Even if you have admin permissions, LabVIEW still does not unless you start LabVIEW with "right-click...run as administrator". That would be the first thing to try. Why didn't you yet?

Also look for unusual characters in the file name. How are you entering the path (path control? string followed string-to-path? Dialog?)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,969 Views)

The satisfaction with developing software is that the software you develop does exactly what you tell it to do.

The frustration with developing software is that the software you develop does exactly what you tell it to do.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,954 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

a more parsimonious assumption

Word of the day:  parsimonius

Definition: unwilling to spend money or use resources; stingy or frugal.

Smiley Very Happy

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,938 Views)

@aputman wrote:

@Bob_Schor wrote:

a more parsimonious assumption

Word of the day:  parsimonius

Definition: unwilling to spend money or use resources; stingy or frugal.

Smiley Very Happy

... and here I thought you were being critical of my spelling (which, I just checked, is correct) ...

Bob "Moderately Generous" Schor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,929 Views)

One could say that I might not have known what that word meant.  Smiley Wink

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,925 Views)