LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Centering Waveform at Zero for FFT

I want to perform a FFT on a waveform that describes a Gaussian pulse in amplitude vs. time. I also want to have that pulse centered so that its maximum is at t = 0.

So far I have been using Amplitude and Phase Spectrum.vi and FFT Spectrum (Mag-Phase).vi. The problem with the former is that it only takes a 1D array of Y values, not another array for time values. The problem with FFT Spectrum (Mag-Phase).vi is that I don't know how to use the t0 component (it requires a timestamp?).

I have tried "wrapping" the pulse around, i.e. cutting the first half of the pulse and concatenating it to the end but this doesn't have the FFT I want (which would have constant phase in frequency domain).

A bit about my background: I'm an undergrad volunteering in an ultrafast spectroscopy lab, so it's very possible I'm ignoring something very elementary here about FFT, which I still treat as something of a black box, so any help in that topic would be welcome.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(5,428 Views)

Hello,

In the Amplitude and Phase Spectrum vi, the time values are accounted for by wiring the dt input of the function. This assumes that you have a constant dt between each point and the very first point is treated as t=0. The other function behaves similarly except that you are using a waveform. A waveform consists of 1) Amplitude values, 2) t0 (timestamp - for you, the timestamp can just be an arbitrary constant value) 3) dt (again, this make it a constant dt between all the points) 4) Attributes. Overall, you should get similar results from either of these. In terms of your data, do they have a constant time interval between points or not?

-Zach

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(5,399 Views)

derada,

Look up the translation property of a Fourier transform.  A time shift of Tp (which is what you want to do) translates to a complex phase shift of exp(-2*pi*i*Tp*f).  All LV FFT functions work on arrays with indexes starting at zero, so you need to keep track of the shifts separately.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(5,392 Views)