LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caption.Text property node error

Hi,

I'm just asking how, in a VI somebody gived me, it is possible to write the Caption.Text property node of boolean controls in a cluster (it's a bit complicated, but real).
I tried to do the same in a VI of mine, but all I have is the Error 1320.

In the Caption.Text help, it's said that it's impossible to change a Caption.Text in a running VI.

I attach the 2 screenshots to illustarte what I'm saying

Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,228 Views)
oops,
and the 2nd screenshot :
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,222 Views)
You can get rid of the 1320 error by making the caption visible once.
I'm not sure if the caption is considered an owned label, but if it says you can't change it in a running VI, and you didn't manage to, then you can't. Instead, have a string indicator inside your cluster and wire the value you want to display into it.

(4,216 Views)
Thanks,
The caption is considered as an owned label. That's why I get the error 1320.

I think i'm gonna use a string indicator in my cluster. Easier than making the capture visible once.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,203 Views)
You can change a captions text while the VI is running. That's one of the differences between it and the Label. The Caption is not technically an Owned Label, even though it's owned by the control. If you right click on the 'Caption.Text' property and select "Help for Text", you'll see where it's all explained.

As TST mentioned, you must first make it visible by manually turning it on (right click>Visable Items>Caption). This problem only shows up in LabVIEW 7.1. All previous versions will let use a property node without first manually turning it on.

Ed

Ed Dickens - Certified LabVIEW Architect - DISTek Integration, Inc. - NI Certified Alliance Partner
Using the Abort button to stop your VI is like using a tree to stop your car. It works, but there may be consequences.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,186 Views)
I actually started with the Label.text property node, that's why I speaked about owned label.
Sorry for this mistake.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,183 Views)
That makes difference.

The Label cannot be changed while the VI is running. But using the Caption, you should be able to do what you are trying to do.

Ed

Ed Dickens - Certified LabVIEW Architect - DISTek Integration, Inc. - NI Certified Alliance Partner
Using the Abort button to stop your VI is like using a tree to stop your car. It works, but there may be consequences.
Message 7 of 7
(4,179 Views)