LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't upload file using SFTP VIs in LabVIEW 2021 (Error -5580893)

Solved!
Go to solution

I am experimenting with LabVIEW 2021 32-bit and the new SFTP VIs.

I am trying to upload files to an SFTP server.

I can successfully connect to the server, create a directory, download files, and list directory contents.

But I am struggling to upload a file.  I did manage to do it yesterday - somehow - just the once!  I don't quite know what I did, but it's not working now. I get Error -5580893, which says "The SFTP operation failed on the server for an unspecified reason. This is the standard error for many SFTP commands."

Ozfarmboy_2-1633653755694.png

I looked at the examples - there is only one SFTP example, and it is to demonstrate List Directory.  This example is a bit light on, and it would be nice if there were more complex examples, and at the very least an example of a file being uploaded which I thought would be the main use case!

I was able to download a file successfully - but it is unclear from the description as to whether local path should be simply a folder or a file.  Turns out you need to give it a filename.  This sort of thing would be easier to work out with better examples.

Has anyone tried these VIs, and successfully and repeatably uploaded files to an SFTP server?  I am wondering if I need to play around with the File attributes a bit, but once again - no examples to provide some clues.

I am using WinSCP to confirm what's happening on the SFTP server.

Attached is a snippet of my code.SFTP Trial codeSFTP Trial code

Christopher Farmer

Certified LabVIEW Architect and LabVIEW Champion
DQMH Trusted Advisor
https://wiredinsoftware.com.au

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,667 Views)

@Ozfarmboy wrote:

I am experimenting with LabVIEW 2021 32-bit and the new SFTP VIs.

I am trying to upload files to an SFTP server.

I can successfully connect to the server, create a directory, download files, and list directory contents.

But I am struggling to upload a file.  I did manage to do it yesterday - somehow - just the once!  I don't quite know what I did, but it's not working now. I get Error -5580893, which says "The SFTP operation failed on the server for an unspecified reason. This is the standard error for many SFTP commands."

Ozfarmboy_2-1633653755694.png

I looked at the examples - there is only one SFTP example, and it is to demonstrate List Directory.  This example is a bit light on, and it would be nice if there were more complex examples, and at the very least an example of a file being uploaded which I thought would be the main use case!

I was able to download a file successfully - but it is unclear from the description as to whether local path should be simply a folder or a file.  Turns out you need to give it a filename.  This sort of thing would be easier to work out with better examples.

Has anyone tried these VIs, and successfully and repeatably uploaded files to an SFTP server?  I am wondering if I need to play around with the File attributes a bit, but once again - no examples to provide some clues.

I am using WinSCP to confirm what's happening on the SFTP server.

Attached is a snippet of my code.SFTP Trial codeSFTP Trial code

That's odd... wonder why you would need to supply a filename?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,642 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ozfarmboy

I managed to resolve this issue.

The reason it would not upload the file is that the remote path needs to be a file path (not just a folder path).  So when I explicitly stated the filename in the remote path, it successfully uploaded.  I was then able to download it successfully too.

Other things I noticed:

1. Create Directory function throws Error -5580893 regardless of whether you set "create as needed" input to True or False. Note: It will work if the directory does not previously exist.
  2. I tried PuTTY instead of OpenSSH earlier on.  This worked, but I had to create a connection to the SFTP server via PuTTY first and accept the connection as recognised.  Only then would it work with a PuTTY connection in LabVIEW.  Note: This is just an observation.  The real issue was with the remote path as described above.

Updated snippet attached.sftp trial4.png

Christopher Farmer

DQMH Trusted Advisor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,568 Views)

Hello,

I am trying to dowload COMTRADE files from a METSEPM8240 using SFTP protocol with Labview. The connection works without any error but then when I try to download files it gives an error. This error occurs if I use a file in the local and the remote path. Despite the error, the program deletes the file of the local path but doesn't dowload the file from the remote one.

MartiS99_0-1686206298510.png

I have tried with other functions as upload or make a list but all SFTP functions give me the same error. If I use WinSCP to download the file it works perfectly too. Does anyone have any clues? Maybe there is a problem with the path? I will appreciate your help, thanks in advance.

Here I attach the code.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(1,673 Views)

Could you try my snippet of code above and see how that goes?

The error is below - something not right with the connection?

Ozfarmboy_0-1686217961392.png

Christopher Farmer

DQMH Trusted Advisor

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(1,660 Views)

I have tried a copy of your code but it still without working. It can open the connection but then the same error appears.

MartiS99_0-1686223707513.png

Maybe there is a problem with the permisions of the host? Or I have to go to lower level? I have tried different path and different functions but anyone works. Thanks.

I attached the code used.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(1,653 Views)

Can you confirm your User/Host/Port fields etc are all ok.

Can you try with a different SFTP server to test and see if it's something strange about your current SFTP server?

Christopher Farmer

DQMH Trusted Advisor

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(1,628 Views)

Yes, I use WinSCP and it works good, I can dowload all the files. So the user, password, host and port are okay. I want to remark that the open connection with labview works, but then it breaks when I try other functions.

Thaks for your replies Ozfarmboy

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(1,617 Views)

If I go to low level, replacing with subVI contents the SFTP VIs that have errors I finally arrive to a sintactic error that says neither nor bundle nor bundle is allowed on this vi. As it is possible to see in this image.

MartiS99_0-1686559024174.png

To solve this problem I have found that I have to add the VI to the class, but I don't know wich VI should I add in my case. It is possible that the problems to use the SFTP VIs steam from this error? How can I solve this issue?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(1,592 Views)