LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't index parts of VRML model with Object.Get Object

I have a problem indexing parts of a VRML model that worked with LV 8.2.1 up to 8.5 but doesn't work with LV 8.6.

Using the SceneObject method "Object.Get Object" I can only index 0, in which case I get all sub-objects in the WRL-file.

I used to be able to index the seperate (sub-)objects in the file to rotate/translate each of them separately.

Is this a bug? How can I get the old functionality back, or should I now do something else to retreive the separate parts of the model?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(4,176 Views)

hello, i have exactly the same problem and i was not able to solve it up to now. i hope that someone will be able to help us.

for information, i run LV 8.6 on Mac OS 10.5.4

regards

d

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(4,163 Views)

Dear Damien and mvzuilekom,

Thank you for your post on our forum.

I dove into the methods of this function, and I couldn't discover a theoretical difference in functionality between 8.5.1 and 8.6. Is it possible for you to add your VI and a VRML file to a post? Please describe how I can reproduce this problem.

Best regards,

Martijn S
Applications Engineer
NI Netherlands
Message 3 of 17
(4,140 Views)

hello,

you will find in attachment readVrml.vi (currently saved for LV 8.5), which tries to load lip.wrl.

on LV 8.5, the file lip.wrl is correctly parsed (6 objects are found, they can be separately managed).

on LV 8.6, only one object is found.

thank you for your help

d

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(4,135 Views)

Hello Damien,

Thank you so much for your zip file. I see exactly wht you mean, I runned the VI with 8.5.1 and 8.6. I'm under the impression that the results should be the same; there is no difference in documentation. I cant think of a method to work arround this, but I wll forward this to our R&D group. I will keep you posted.

Best regards,

Martijn S
Applications Engineer
NI Netherlands
Message 5 of 17
(4,128 Views)

thanks a lot.

d

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(4,125 Views)
nothing new?
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(4,020 Views)

Hello Damien,

I just arrived back into the office; the past week I wasn't in, and not able to keep on track with this issue. I did not get new information. I just send a e-mail to my colleague in the US, and hope to reply as answer as soon as possible.

I'm sorry for the delay, best regards,

Martijn S
Applications Engineer
NI Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(4,018 Views)

Hello Damien,

The problem will be solved in one of the next Labview versions (they are now deciding which depending on complexity after that it will be hand over to the R& group). This was what I suspected, where I was hoping for is a temporary work around.

What specific operations are you unable to do without indexing the model?

Looking at the 3D picture control VIs, there seems to be massive changes between 8.5.1 and 8.6 (compare "Load VRML File" for example), and there doesn't seem to be any quick work around to loading different indices.

If you have LabVIEW and if there's no way around this problem, we could keep working in that version, or try to create a DLL or executable for the parts that aren't working in 8.6, and use that component as needed in 8.6 with the code that is working.

Best regards,

Martijn S
Applications Engineer
NI Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(3,997 Views)

Hello Martijn,

Just to be sure I understand this right:

When the issue is solved in a next release, will that mean that the functionality will be identical to f.i. 8.5, or does code need to be adapted? I assume that indexing existing VRML models will still be possible.

If there is indeed a way to temporarly use a different set of DLL's to get things working again, I really would like to have this ability.

Can you explain in more detail what would have to be done?

Regards,

Marco van Zuilekom

Sr. Software Designer

Thales Nederland B.V.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(3,993 Views)