From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't enter a time in numeric control

Solved!
Go to solution

This happened to me all of a sudden.  I am not able to enter a time in a numeric control.  see attached.

When I enter a time it just defaults back to 0

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Dan Shangraw, P.E.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,084 Views)

Works fine for me.  I wrapped a loop around your control and connected an indicator to check it.  No problem.

Did you change any attributes?  Coerce maybe???  Right-click it and check...

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,078 Views)

What time are you entering?  It seems to work fine for me.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,074 Views)

Here is a video.

Dan Shangraw, P.E.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,058 Views)

I checked the coercion.  I don't have that enabled.

Very strange 

Dan Shangraw, P.E.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,057 Views)

You have some weird data entry limits set (Max=Min). Does it work better if you go back to defaults?

altenbach_0-1611077232664.png

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,032 Views)

I deleted my control and created a new one and that fixed the problem.  Weird...

I can't enter 7 for the hours if the minutes are 0 though.  I tried setting the data entry limits to default and still the weird behavior.

Thanks

Dan Shangraw, P.E.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,995 Views)

If I use a numeric control instead of a time stamp control I can get it to work right.  I can enter a 7 for the hour if the minutes are 0.

Very strange behavior

Dan Shangraw, P.E.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,994 Views)
Solution
Accepted by ASTDan

Remember that the time stamp control is not just for time, but for time/date.  So even though you might enter something like 3:00 pm,  that is 3:00 pm on a particular date that is not shown with your display settings.  If I show the date and enter 3:00pm it is 3 pm on 12/31/1903.

Which time zone are you in?  Are you eastern?  I found the same issue.  And 7 pm would be a special time/date in the eastern timezone because 7pm 12/31/1903 is time 0 which is midnight UTC for 1/1/1904, the epoch of the LabVIEW time system.

I also think I remember some issues, (bugs?) in LabVIEW related to entering some times at the epoch.

Remember, you can also set a double numeric control or indicator to display a value in the format of time.  I think that may be a better way to handle a time that you don't want to have a date associated with it like here where "Time to Read" file means, hey I want to read it 7pm every day.  You've got to do the code to handle it, but you've got to deal with it also with a timestamp control to distinguish between 7pm yesterday, 7 pm today, 7 pm tomorrow, and 7pm on 12/31/1903.

EDIT:  I did a little searching to see if I could find a thread that I think exists suggesting a bug.  Haven't found that, but found this https://stackoverflow.com/questions/15106210/incorrect-timestamp-control-value which talks about the special case of 0 for a timestamp.  Basically a hard 0 is a special time that LabVIEW displays like an empty timestamp display rather than the data that is associated with 0, the epoch of midnight 1/1/1904 GMT.

Message 9 of 10
(2,979 Views)

Thank you for that great explanation!

Dan Shangraw, P.E.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,943 Views)