LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't change drive for installation

I am trying to install drivers on a Windows 2000 machine. I tell the software to install the drivers to the C drive but on the next screen, the one that asks exactly what to install, I am informed that the installation software wants to install the drivers to the E drive and won't let me change it.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,353 Views)
Hi Exo,

I was wondering what drivers you are trying to install and what versions of the driver you were installing on the computer.  Also, if you continue to install the drivers, what drive does it actually install to? 

Message Edited by M B on 06-27-2007 07:57 PM

Regards,

Michael
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,338 Views)
It's trying to install to a small auxillary drive. I run out of room. I changed the default drive in the registry but it still wants to install to the same drive. The drivers are for boards for a  function generation FGEN and a digital oscilloscope
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,329 Views)
Hi exo -

The driver installer needs to install core components in the %windows% and %windows%/system32 folders, as well as support functions/libraries in the subfolders of various programs and ADEs.  Is Windows installed on a driver other than C?  Are any of your ADEs (LabVIEW, CVI, Visual Studio) installed on the E drive?

Can you attach a screenshot of the installer menu that wants to add feature support on the E drive?
David Staab, CLA
Staff Systems Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,302 Views)
I can't get to the computer until next week, I emailed your message along to someone who can. I'm sure that windows is on both drives.  Labview is the only ni product on the C drive. There should be no other NI products on the E drive.

Doug
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,278 Views)
Hi Doug -

Yes, unfortunately you can only install the driver to the same folder as \WINDOWS\, \National Instruments\, and \IVI\.  This is required because several core components of the driver have to be installed in subfolders of the OS and other applications.  If the files were installed across multiple partitions, the driver would not work correctly.
David Staab, CLA
Staff Systems Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,256 Views)
From my guy in the lab
I couldn't find the system32 folder. Unfortuately there doesn't seem to be
a search function that looks for directories in regedit, only
keys/values/data.

I attached two screenshots: the step when it suggests C:\ and then the
step where it goes screwy.

What is IVI in the first place?

I ran a search for keys with data field "E:\Program Files\IVI" to no avail.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,229 Views)
Hi exo -

I'm sorry, but I may not have explained the situation well enough:  You cannot currently install the driver software to any drive other than the one holding Windows and LabVIEW.  It can't be done, and if you somehow manage to force the installer to do so, the software will not work correctly.  We may decide to change this in a future release, but all existing versions of NI-FGEN are subject to this limitation.  I'm afraid you'll have to repartition the drive to allocate more space to C:.

On a side note, IVI is defined here, and a link to the IVI Foundation site is provided on that page.
David Staab, CLA
Staff Systems Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,221 Views)
LAbview is on the C:drive and as far as I know there is copy of Windows there as well.  I will check.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,214 Views)