From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone please help me create this excel table from a TDMS file? (I'm a beginner)

I built my VI and I have no broken wires, but I am not getting the expected result from the VI. Basically, all I want is to display all the data from the TDMS file on excel, but it is not working for me. Can someone nice please help me without trying to put me down? I'm only a beginner trying to learn and become like the you, guys. 

Thank you.

P.S: I attached my VI and TDMS file. Just in case you cannot open the TDMS file. I have an excel file attached as well to show you how the TDMS looks like when it's opened. 

I want my data to look like this below :Capture.PNG

This below is what I am getting instead:

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(2,532 Views)

I can't open your VI unfortunately.

Are you able to open the TDMS file using LabVIEW and read the channel data and display it in a table?  Confirm that you are able to read the data first and then we can discuss Excel. 

FYI, there is a TDMS plugin for Excel that allows you to open and read these files.  I'm guessing you already know about this but I don't want to post without mentioning it (just in case). 

Edit: Don't mind me...I see that you posted the TDMS as an XLSX file. 

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(2,486 Views)

I have a fair amount of experience using the RGT to generate Excel Workbooks, and can point you to a simple-but-reasonably-comprehensible Example routine (you can find it in the Forum by doing a search for "Revised Excel" and choosing the "obvious" choice).  Note that you'll have to organize the various pieces of the TDMS file yourself, and use it to build the Excel Tables one at a time.  

When you try to run this Demo, you may find that it is "broken".  It was written about 5 years ago, before Microsoft changed some internals in Excel.  The fix for this has also been published in the Forum -- if you can't find it, reply here and one of us will help you.

Among other things, this shows how you can skip rows or columns, mixing and matching tables of various sizes, inserting graphs, etc.  Note also that the cell have an outline around them (I forget how to turn this off, but it's probably a formatting thing), and this (old) routine using a deprecated "New Report" (which you should replace with "Create Report").

This should help you create the "mechanics" of the Report.  Getting the various components of the TDMS data into an equivalent Excel structure is up to you.

My advice would be to "start small" and "test often".  For example, do a single ThermoTest set of data --

• One line header ThermoTest #n
  • 2D Data Array with Row and Column Headers

Don't worry, at first, about Bold, Italic, etc., just get the data into Excel.  Once you've done this, worry about formatting (Bold, Italic).

Good luck.

Oh, I just noticed that your TDMS-in-Excel example is a multi-sheet Workbook.  Again, start small, just to the Root page.  Once you can do this, doing a Data Page should be easy -- all you have to do is learn how to create and move around pages (but that's not too difficult -- don't forget, make a guess how it works and write yourself a little Test Routine to see if your "guess" is correct).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(2,473 Views)

Hi,

This is how my VI looks like. It's very simple, can quickly be created. Yes, I can open it using labview.

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(2,342 Views)

Hi Bob,

I'm only using workbook (worksheet 3), not all of them.

Here is my VI looks like: Capture.PNG

Quite simple. It can be created in less than 5 minutes.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(2,334 Views)

@GRC5000 wrote:

Yes, I can open it using labview.

I asked if you were able to read the channel data and write it to a table control.  I don't see where you are doing that.  Yes, you are reading the channel names from the file but you don't use the TDMS Read VI to retrieve the actual data. 

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(2,329 Views)

If you are asking for help, you should "help us to help you".  In particular, your picture of your Block Diagram is large enough that all of the writing and images is extremely small, hard to read, etc.  I could try to create it "in less than 5 minutes", but it would take you less than 5 second to attach your VI, which would then take me less than 5 seconds to open the VI, determine which version of LabVIEW you are using, try to execute your VI and see if there are errors or missing wires or hidden wires, etc.

I'm happy to wait until you provide code, not pictures.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(2,325 Views)

Dear Aputman,

I tried to use TDMS, it kind of helped a little. I was only able to retrieve two data (numbers from the TDMS file).

I attached a VI. Hopefully you will be able to open it.  I am using LabView 2019

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(2,272 Views)

VI attached

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(2,271 Views)

Dear Bob,

I attached the VI. Please I need your help.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(2,270 Views)