LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can one create a virtual machine from an exsisting configuration?

Ok, when I go into MAX I have all these various devices (typically cDAQ's) that I use in my various test stands.  Is there any way to take an existing device and create a simulated device with the same channels and configuration? Basically, just copy an existing device and make it simulated.

Seems to me that should be a no brainer... I want to run my VI without hooking up to my hardware... use a simulated device.  What if my device has 500 channels?  Do I have to go in and re-invent the wheel?  What am I missing?   I've searched, but maybe I'm using the wrong key words... I'm not finding what I'm looking for here. 

Thanks guys/gals!

Chad

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,598 Views)

You can simulate any DAQ except for a select few according to National Instruments at least, and for some reason you cannot simulate any NI Motion device. Probably I'm not understanding you right, but what I would do, Is create a simulated device of the real one, create the virtual channel tasks with the DAQ assistant and place that in a true/false case, true when using the real channels and false when using the simulated ones.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,592 Views)

I guess I'm not asking this correctly...  Ok, say I use the DAQ Assistant in a VI and setup multiple channels.  If I now open up MAX that device will now show up in MAX as a device with the same channels configured.  Yes, I can convert it into a task.  Either way, if I want to simulate that device, I have to go in and re-enter all of the channels and their configs.  I'd like to just take the device or task in MAX and copy it, configs and all... and make it simulated. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,572 Views)

I'm not aware of any way to automate that.  But, I'd be interseted in seeing which device you're working with that includes 500 channels.

It's more likely you've invested more time in complaining and trying to avoid something simple than you'd ever spend creating the simulated device.

Why are you using the express VI in thise case anyway?  Use the DAQmx API.  One of the inputs is the device you're interested in.  The rest of the acquisition configs are handled elsewhere.  Change from the MAX name for the actual hardware vs the simulated hardware depending on which you care about.  It seems like something this easy would be the "no brainer" option rather than trying to duplicate settings specifically in MAX to begin with.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,563 Views)

I'm not using 500 channels, but if I were configuring 500 channels manually in a simulated device would pretty much blow. 

I don't believe I complained in there anywhere...  I'm just looking for a simpler way to perform a task.

It began as a simple VI, but has grown substantially.  I've just started building tasks and understanding how they work.  So, I'm still learning.  Thank you for the help.

C

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,554 Views)

The reason I suggested using the assistant, is because it does the tedious job of creating the task and virtual channels automatically, so you can have it create the initialize SubVI for you and use that to feed your main code, actually that's what I'm doing right now. So yeah easiest way is just let assistant do the tedious part, then the fine tuning yourself.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,550 Views)