LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can not Install LabVIEW 2020

Hello everyone,

I have a problem in installing LabVIEW. I really bothers me. I tried eveything ; however nothing happen.

When start installing LabVIEW, I got a message "NI Package Manger.exe is not found".

When install NI Package Manger, I got "the Package is already installed".. an so on

Attached you screenshots; how ever they are in German.

Maybe someone could help. I will greatly appreciate that!

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,596 Views)

When you push the Start button and can see the list of installed programs, can you find a folder for National Instruments, inside of which is NI Package Manager?

• If "Yes", click to start Package Manager, which is the "installer" for LabVIEW.  Follow directions from there.
  • If "No", but there is still an entry for National Instruments on the Start menu, then you should do a complete, safe Uninstall of all National Instruments Software and try again.
  • If there is no entry for National Instruments on the Start menu, then I would guess you "aggressively" tried to remove NI Software.  You will probably need to backup your files, re-install Windows, re-install your other software, re-install your files, and try again to install LabVIEW (which starts by installing NI Package Manager and letting it direct the rest of the process.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,560 Views)

In Start I hv only these 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,547 Views)

I don't know what you are showing me.  It looks like something from Windows Explorer, not what I was hoping to see.

On my PC running Windows 10, there is a "Taskbar" that runs along the bottom of the screen.  On the left end of this is a button with a picture of a "Window", which if you hover over it with your mouse, says "Start".  This is the "Start Button".

1. Push the Start Button.
  2. You should get a Pop-up with the Programs you have installed on your PC, listed alphabetically.  Scroll down to "N" and see if there is a folder labeled "National Instruments".  If so, open it (click on the folder).  It should look something like this:NI in Programs.png
  3. Scroll down the list shown, looking for NI Package Manager.NIPM in Programs.png
  4. If it is not there, then you are in luck -- you have not installed LabVIEW, so you can start over and install it.  If it is there, but you don't see LabVIEW near the top of the list, then you can run NIPM and use it to uninstall LabVIEW (go to the Web and learn how to do this properly -- do it wrong and you will need to re-install Windows!).
  5. There have been several Posts on the Forums about how to install LabVIEW in the era of NIPM.  My advice -- find someone who has done this (a lot) and get them to do it for you.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,517 Views)

What constitutes a safe uninstall?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,502 Views)

I do it from Control Panel (type "Control Panel" in the Search Bar near the Start Button).  Choose Programs and Features.  Find "National Instruments Software".  Click and choose "Remove All".  Note you need Admin Rights!

This brings up NIPM.  You want to "Remove All", which you can do by checking the little Square in the upper right.  Be sure "Products Only" is not checked.  When it finishes (it may take some time, measured in minutes), reboot and do it again.

At some point, the only thing left to remove will be NIPM.  It will warn you about removing it, but if it is the only thing left, go ahead.  Reboot.

Now do one last pass.  I've seen stuff "left behind" that has escaped NIPM's vigilance.

Do not use any tools that mess with the Registry!  If you do, you may find yourself in the situation of needing to reinstall everything (including Windows!) or, alternatively, buy a new Computer for running LabVIEW.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,482 Views)

NPIM won't remove itself and I have deleted all LV stuff it missed after 3 passes and installed the community download (virtual CD).  

I'm trying to activate the community edition.  I have done all the previous directions but when I launch LV it pops up the licence manager.  There is no "following the default options" there isn't any!  LV Community is supposed to be activated by identity.  I can't find a way to do that.  What am I missing.  Detailed responses please, don't assume any familiarity on a users part.

I think it's awesome that NI would offer this edition but I'm totally frustrated with the difficulty getting it to run. 

Yes, I have admin rights, surely NI can discern that so why do I get the notification?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,456 Views)

I think you may need to establish an identity with NI.  I did this so many years ago that I forgot how to do it.  Try going to www.ni.com.  When I do this, there are three icons on the right near the top -- the first looks like a head and shoulders of a person, and if I click on it, it logs me in to MyNI, my NI "identity".  If you don't have such an identity, it may walk you through the steps of creating one, after which you should be able to activate your Community Edition for a year.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,436 Views)

I have an identity.  I participated in the Beta edition but have tried every suggestion I can find to get the community edition to activate and run. Nothing works. I have experienced every problem posted.

Do you know if NI is even aware of this issue?  And if so when if ever are they going to fix it?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,414 Views)

There are bunches of threads on this issue.  NI is aware of it.  One of the threads specifically mentions that people who participated in the beta will have problems.

Check this out.  https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA03q000000ww6wCAA&l=en-US

I would call it a work around rather than a true fix to the problem.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,404 Views)