LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a tri-state buffer be implemented?

Hi.  I would like to implement a tri-state indicator...as in High, Low, and High-Impedance state.  Does anyone know of an easy or clever way to do this?  I have a buffer that drives an indicator, but I want to show that when the buffer goes active high, the bit it is driving is in high impedance; neither high or low.  Thank you!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,232 Views)
The easiest way of doing this I think would be to either use an LED boolean, and just change the colour, or a simple decoration and change the colour of that.  This however, depends on what you consider to be an acceptable indicator...
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,227 Views)
the problem with that is I need a third color....green, red...blue
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,225 Views)

@Adma wrote:
the problem with that is I need a third color....green, red...blue

Couldn't you use a makeshift mux?
Message 4 of 9
(3,223 Views)
Is this the kind of thing you're looking for?

Message 5 of 9
(3,212 Views)
Thanks, as usual you guys are right on point.  Thats what I need
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,200 Views)

Arbitrary number state buffers (including tri-state) can be implemented with a enum.  If you want a graphical control I would sugest using a picture ring.

Paul

Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,184 Views)

I I would use a color box indicator dressed up as LED. For a simple example see my post here:

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=129184&query.id=0#M129184

(The above example has 4 states, but I am sure you can simplify. ;). Of course if the state is determined by code, you don't want to use an event structure)

(This is similar to Novatron's example. Novatron, I don't uderstand why your colorbox is a control and you write to it using a value property. Why not make it an indiacator and place it at the location or the property node and delete the property node?  Your current approach has two disadvantages: (1) Since it is a control, the user can change the color during run, fighting the code. (2) You have all the performance overhead writing to value property nodes.)

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,178 Views)
@Altenbach

You're completely right.  The reason it is like that is because I wasn't paying much attention!  I was doing some property node stuff at the time and I guess had them on the brain. 

Attached is the way that this should be...

Sigh.  I hate Mondays.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,171 Views)