cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Labview plot the massive data ?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello all , 

when I was in the lab at school, I used labview to collect the raw data and plotted using a Matlab

simple, 

however... 

here at work, they do not have a Matlab : ( 

I'm trying to get 5K samples / sec and it's going be at least 1-hour data... it could go up to a day or more

I figured, excel cannot handle this data (plot) 

Can I just use Labview to plot this after the acquisition ? 

instead of using a Matlab ? 

Thank you : ) 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,513 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Johnnykoo

Hi,

Yes you can use waveform graph in LabVIEW to plot your data after acquisition. If the data(file size) is more, you can plot the data in chunks and use a scrollbar to view the entire data.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,507 Views)

If you donot want to view the all the points. You can decimate the data collected and plot in Labview. If it is a very large data, decimation might help you view the plot without any hassle. If you need to zoom in, then decimation might not be a good option.

There is a opensource freeware called Freemat (an alternative of MATLAB). It doesnot have any complex toolboxes like in MATLAB. It has all basic functions for signal processing. The size is close to 38MB only. You can try FreeMAT also.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,503 Views)

Thanks a lot I'll try the waveform graph.. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,497 Views)

well, accidentaly some links did lead me to freemat and RLab 

I picked Freemant and it works fine ! all the interfaces and functions are very similar to MATLAB 

and I'm happy with it. 

Thaks for the tip ! 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,494 Views)

Hi, I figured I already was using the waveform graph, (it's being used as the

real time data acquisition monitoirng) 

Are you saying that there is a way that after all acquisition, and you can view the all data

from the beginning to the end using the waveform chart by scrolling ? 

i'm confused. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,490 Views)

I guess you are using the waveform graph to monitor the real time data. To view the data after your acquisition is finished i.e, for post view better to write the acquired data in a binary/TDMS file and later on read the file and then plot it in waveform graph/chart.

Also look here http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/95FEE9F5B252507E862562BA00007657 and http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/748 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,485 Views)

Hi,

Look at this wonderfull XGrapher - Xcontrol Waveform Graph

Of course, you will still have an issue with data history (if it's too big), so you can log your datas in a binary or TDMS file, and read them by chunks or decimate them for display.

Olivier L. | Certified LabVIEW Developer

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,477 Views)

Graphs perform decimation already. However, you can perform decimation yourself if you have a "massive" amount of data. I posted an example using a couple of VIs that I had picked up somewhere in this post: http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/plot-2D-arrays-on-graph/m-p/1412816#M548241

Message 9 of 10
(3,455 Views)

Handling large data sets is a topic in the LabVIEW help.  It is also explained in the (dated) tutorial Managing Large Data Sets in LabVIEW.  After you read the tutorial, check out the LabVIEW help for the In Place Element structure and Data Value References.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,425 Views)