LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I install 2012 run-time engine under windows 10?

Solved!
Go to solution

My company is transitioning to Windows 10.  We have many applications developed using Labview 2012 under Windows 7. 

Will the programs run properly using Win 10?  Can we even install the 2012 RTE?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(6,978 Views)

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Windows-10-compatibility-with-applications-developed-in-LabView/m-p/...

In a nutshell: your applications might work, but officially LV2012 RTE is not supported under Win10...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(6,967 Views)

There is a very good chance it will install just fine.  Several people on the forums have been installing old versions, like LabVIEW 7.x and 8.x, in modern OS versions just fine. 

That being said if it doesn't go well, you aren't going to find any support from NI.  You can post on the forums, and we can try to help, but if there is some kind of show stopping bug keeping LabVIEW 2012 from working in Windows 10, I'm not sure you will get any support from NI to resolve it.

Message 3 of 8
(6,940 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author djb

Very often the need to change to a newer LabVIEW version is dictated by driver compatibility, rather than development environment. Unless you really need some new features.

Although I'm considering a change now, I'm still using LV2011 on Win10. Many applications require VISA, some other DAQmx.

So far, no problem.

Paolo
-------------------
LV 7.1, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2021
Message 4 of 8
(6,905 Views)

Recently we have contacted NI for a similar query. they suggested to use LabVIEW 2016 with Windows 10.

Older version will work with windows 10 as per my experiments however,  NI does not guarantee the stability.

Following links may be helpful

1) http://www.ni.com/labview/os-support/

2) http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/B972242574D4BB99862575A7007520CB

Mirash

Coding is a combination of intelligent and creative work - someone
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(6,902 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

There is a very good chance it will install just fine.  Several people on the forums have been installing old versions, like LabVIEW 7.x and 8.x, in modern OS versions just fine. 

That being said if it doesn't go well, you aren't going to find any support from NI.  You can post on the forums, and we can try to help, but if there is some kind of show stopping bug keeping LabVIEW 2012 from working in Windows 10, I'm not sure you will get any support from NI to resolve it.

I don't fear the show-stopper as much as I fear the subtle issues, like "Why does my VI seem to work, but is returning bad data?"  And you might even recognize it as bad data because a repeating data point might go unnoticed.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(6,886 Views)

To all who commented:  Thanks for your helpful input!  Sounds like we need to test our programs, and can't expect NI support, but the its likely things will work okay.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(6,882 Views)

My opinion is, I think your time and money would be better spent trying to update your code to the appropriate LV version and then integrate it into the new operating system.  Then at least the errors you are getting can be attributed to the update and not because of some weird interaction with an unsupported combination of Windows and LabVIEW versions.

Or maybe you can persuade IT that this test station will never be connected to the company network, so you can keep your current configuration.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(6,880 Views)