LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I create sub-vi's with special shapes?

Can I create sub-vi's with special shapes, like the ones under the menus "Numeric", "Boolean", etc.? I know I can draw the sub-vi icon borders with the desired shape, but the result is not the same.
www.vartortech.com
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,312 Views)
No you can't. In fact the "sub-vi's" that you are referring to in the numeric and boolean palettes are not VIs but rather are LabVIEW primatives.

-Jim
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,312 Views)
Make sure that the black and white icon has the same outer shape as the
color one. Or you can use the Copy from button to copy them back and
forth. This should make the subVI interact very similarly to the built-in.

Greg McKaskle

Enrique wrote:
>
> Can I create sub-vi's with special shapes, like the ones under the
> menus "Numeric", "Boolean", etc.? I know I can draw the sub-vi icon
> borders with the desired shape, but the result is not the same.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,312 Views)
Unless I misunderstand your question,

YES YOU CAN!

The trick is to draw your shape in the icon editor,
but,
do not color or fill the area between the shape and the edges of the icon frame.

A simple example is attached as LV5 and LV6

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Download All
Message 4 of 9
(3,312 Views)

Ben (anybody),

Can you tell me why I can't get my icon to be non-rectangular? (attached) It looks very similar to yours.  I cleared the icon, then drew the greater than-looking sign, but still the icon is rectangular.

Thanks,

Greg

Message Edited by gstanczak on 04-09-2010 05:40 PM
v7.1
Message 5 of 9
(2,861 Views)
Wow, that is a who's-who of people who were around a decade ago.  Did you try Greg's advice.  Make sure all three versions of the icon are the same.  Go to the BW version and 16-bit version and copy from the 256-bit version.
Message 6 of 9
(2,838 Views)

I'm not Ben. I'm (anybody). Smiley Wink

What you have to do is make sure that each version of the icon (B & W, 16 Colors, and 256 Colors) is the same. Just copy the 256 colors version to the other ones and when you place the VI on the block diagram it will be non-rectangular. 

Message 7 of 9
(2,836 Views)

Rats!  I read that post to hastily to understand it.  I will be more careful next time.

Thank you.

(better than nobody!)

Message Edited by gstanczak on 04-09-2010 06:05 PM
v7.1
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,830 Views)

Thought I would share the icon I have been using for a week or so since I finished Peter Blume's Style Book and was inspired to recreate his wait VI with error clusters, slender icon and all...

Of course the 2 inputs and 1 output I made 'required' terminals so the icon was garaunteed to match up beautifully with its surroundings.

Better luck next time.  😞

Message Edited by gstanczak on 04-09-2010 06:49 PM
v7.1
Message 9 of 9
(2,810 Views)