LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLD testleaks

seriously, Ray, I am not talking about what's important in life, or what's the right thing to do. 

Like you said, two types of people, good or pretend-to-be-good people. But you probably missed one point, there is no perfect people in this world. I would say, 99% if not all, of people actually fall in between. 

That's why I found it hard to believe the fact that among all the people who have taken the CLD exam, not even one has, or even tried to leak the real test assignment. That's amazing. In your word, these are all good people. 

Or in another word, only good people takes the challenge of CLD/CLA.haha..Smiley Very Happy

Certification is not totally meaningless. It is one way to show other people your capability, to show that you as a programmer actually is recognized by a third party. Like a hotel, you can be pretty much assured that a 5-star one is more comfortable than a no-star motel, right? 

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 27
(933 Views)

While waiting that fume hood to free up...

I have no way to prove it, but I suspct the wolrd of engineers and scientist is in many ways unique from the others in that real world phenomenon just does not lie (all discusions of climate change by the way are "right out"! ).

So for our real jobs we have to be able to operate in or switch over to "truth mode" were we simply can not get away with lies and our stuff actually has to work or do what ever it does.

There are other parts of society where people can live in a lie and never have to open their eyes, but that does not work in engineering.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 27
(927 Views)

@MengHuiHanTang wrote:

.... Like a hotel, you can be pretty much assured that a 5-star one is more comfortable than a no-star motel, right? 

No.

I have a t least one 5-star hotel that I will avoid again if I ever have to return there but the Lighthouse Inn in Erie PA looked like the classic motel from "Psycho" but was run by a single person who did everything including cooking th breakfast. Give me the Lighthouse Inn any day.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 27
(912 Views)

LOL!  Good post Meng 😄

I didn't see any fumes, so I do not know what Ben is referring to..  🙂

I think I see the perspective of your post.  You're impressed that it was never leaked.  Well.... at least not to our knowledge.  Or we simply never looked for leaks.

Sorry, I take back my statement because I completely read your posts the wrong way.  You aged rapidly all of a sudden..  😉

You know what.  I think it is all relative.  There is no perfection.  If we were perfect we'd probably be in some other world where yet again perfection is relative..

My earlier post about the two types of people was not meant to split up the world into 2 factions as good / evil.  Rather, it was for the technical / SW realm. 

Thinking back, I should have said there are three categories. Those who are good (in what they do), those who claim to be good (but not really, whether they actually know it or not - that they are not good), and those who fall in-between. 

I fall into the 3rd category.  And it's not necessarily bad..  I don't consider myself good.  And I know there are many far better than myself.  But as a generalist who is okay (thriving towards the good), I'm failry well..  And that is all relative.  To some, I'm probably good and to some others I'm probably not so good.

So..  since I think "good" is relative, how does this explain the lack of leaks for the CLD?  Probably the few who do take the exam do it because they are serious about LabVIEW and have no motivation to leak answers.  And the ratio of programmers versus those who have CLD/CLA's is relatively small.   In my realm, companies do not understand nor recognize the value of Certification, thus my reason for not seeing a value or meaning.  Plus, the Certification by iteself would not improve my skills.

What has prompted this question/ thread?  Was it because of the recent Wikileaks?  I would be funny to find a site called CLDleaks..  LOL!

I am not disagreeing with your 5-star hotel example.  However, picture the people who select which hotel that you stay in based on the price and not the star rating!! 

Maybe I shold borrow that example before telling people my rates...  😄

Ever consider marketing?

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 27
(900 Views)

@Ben wrote:

Lighthouse Inn in Erie PA looked like the classic motel from "Psycho" but was run by a single person who did everything including cooking th breakfast. Give me the Lighthouse Inn any day.

That good?  I'll have to look it up.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 27
(899 Views)

WikiLabVIEWLeaks

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 27
(891 Views)

See, ben, that's the difference between certified and certifiable. 

You will avoid that 5-star because you already tried it once. What if some body gives a choice between a brand-new 5-star and motel? I bet you would choose the 5-star, it's a no-brainer, because it is certified as 5-star, and people assume certified 5-star is better, even the best. 

This is a real story. During one of the NI seminars, the only CLA in the state of Illinois was specially introduced. People looked at him like a hero. Is he the best programmer? Who knows. But he is a CLA, people have a basic idea where he stands in the world of LabVIEW --- that little triangle on top of the LV-certification pyramid. I think this is a good example why people want to be certified. 

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 27
(881 Views)

@MengHuiHanTang wrote:

See, ben, that's the difference between certified and certifiable. 

This is a real story. During one of the NI seminars, the only CLA in the state of Illinois was specially introduced. People looked at him like a hero. Is he the best programmer? Who knows. But he is a CLA, people have a basic idea where he stands in the world of LabVIEW --- that little triangle on top of the LV-certification pyramid. I think this is a good example why people want to be certified. 

That is  nice story to hear, thank you.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 27
(838 Views)

@MengHuiHanTang wrote:

Wish that story would be true here as well. Enough said...

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 27
(836 Views)

Ben, I didn't see that one! I'm guessing you were at my former employer that makes the big version of the items in your basement layout. I was out there a couple of years ago, ended up staying on the other end of town.

Thomas H. Monroe was actually my grandfather, a very stern, but loving, gentleman of the old school. Actually was an old school, West Point.

No there is no perfection in mankind, but we can try and trend that way, otherwise it is chaos. As to whether anyone has leaked, they may well could have, probably have somewhere, but not apparently in a public forum. To do so here would be not only dishonest, but frankly, stupid.

But back to the philosophic turn, how can you accomplish anything that you don't personally do without trust. Would you want to fly on an airplane where the pilot managed to cheat on the tests proving his/her ability? Undergo surgery? Etc., etc. Admittedly, even in these professions there are cheaters.

I wear a ring on the "pinky finger" of my "dominant hand" (the right hand in my case) that is symbolic of the "Obligation of the Engineer" which I received when I graduated with my degree in engineering. It is sort of like the Hippocratic oath that Doctor's make, that as an engineer I will work in honest enterprises, for the public good. This Order of the Engineer was copied after a similar organization created in Canada (Sorry Ray!), and maybe viewed as naive, but as I approach my six decade, with a lot of cynicism, I think it holds value to me still.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 27
(812 Views)