LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Build program from existing Driver VIs

I have an Agilent device (OSA) that I am trying to interface with my PC. I've installed all the necessary drivers (488.2 2.5) and MAX recognizes my device.

Agilent provided me with a series of files (MNU files and a LLB [vi library]) that supposedly allow me to build my communication interface. However, since I have little experience with LabView, I am not sure where to begin. I suppose that these VIs get somehow incoorporated into my large custom LabView program and hence depend on each other to function. Also, I've been told that two of the VIs (Init and Close) have to go at the beginning and end of my program.

Can someone provide any suggestions or guidance? Perhaps a tutorial that shows how multiple VIs are used to build a large program.

Thanks,
Alex
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(2,813 Views)
You can go to the Instrument Driver Network and check the links under learn to get an idea of what an instrument driver is and how to use one. I'm not sure about drivers created by Agilent, but all NI created drivers have a top level example. See if you have one of these. You also want to make sure you have installed the driver to the correct location. The instrument folder should be in your instr.lib folder. If done correctly, the driver funtions should be on your Instrument I/O>Instrument Driver palette.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(2,804 Views)
Thanks for the advice. I hope that website will help.

I placed the drivers into the directory that you specified. However, when I go to Tools/Instrumentation/Find Instru Drivers I receive an error which closes that window. Please see the image for the error window.

Thanks,
Alex

Edit: And yes, my connection is on. However, I fail to see why it even matters.

Edit 2: However, I see that before the window closes, my device does show up on the top left. This, I assume, means that everything is okay. Correct?

Message Edited by ap8888 on 06-17-2008 01:23 PM
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(2,801 Views)

Forget the above message. I found the palette you were talking about.

When I do as you said, I see the device listed. However, when I click to see the subtree, the files that are there (only about 6 of them) don't have icons on them (the icons are question marks). Also, I can't drag these icons onto my block diagram. Please note also that the folder that I unzipped had many more files that are listed here.

Please see the image attached.

Message Edited by ap8888 on 06-17-2008 01:31 PM
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(2,790 Views)
First, after you placed the driver file in the instr.lib folder, did you restart LabVIEW? Second, if restarting LabVIEW does not solve the problem, can you post an image of windows explorer showing the instr.lib path and any subfolders below it? Make sure you expand the folder and all subfolders for the new driver. I wish I could point to an example of how the directory structure is supposed to be but with LabVIEW 8.x, the shipping examples would be a LabVIEW project type driver and that's a bit different.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(2,779 Views)
I've tried restarting, but there is no resulting difference.

I've attached an image of the directory as well as the Functions palette.

(my device is Agilent 86142A)

Message Edited by ap8888 on 06-18-2008 08:15 AM
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(2,756 Views)
It all looks to be in the correct location. You can try going to Tools>Advanced>Edit Palette Set. You can then browse to the top level in the Instrument I/O>Instrument Driver palette. I think if you select Synchronize with Directlory, you will refresh the broken mnu links. I can't try this now so I can't confirm it will work.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(2,747 Views)
I took your suggestions and now there are many more VIs in the functions palette under my device. However, a few of them (the 4 or 5 that appeared before) are still "question marks" and can not be dragged into my block diagram.

Any idea why this is hapenning?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(2,743 Views)
Hello,

I am trying to replicate the issue and was wondering if you can post the link to the driver page.

Thank you,
Simran K
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(2,708 Views)
I was told by Agilent to "Go to ftp://ftp.agilent.com/pub/callpub1/ddt/8614xx/, download the file ag8614x_LV.zip".

But I also found this page: http://www.home.agilent.com/agilent/techSupport.jspx?pid=86142A%3Aepsg%3Apro&pageMode=DS&cc=US&lc=en... which is a "VXI" Driver. I have a feeling that this provides me with the DLL files necessary for the first file (full of VIs) to work. Unfortunately, I'll have to try this tomorrow.

Let me know what you think.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(2,706 Views)