LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Build array into timed cycle loop FPGA

Hi, I'd like to acquire four digital signals with MyRIO fpga when i click an "acquire" button and put them in four arrays of 500 elements each. I made this:

image001.png

but I receive these errors:

Immagine2.pngImmagine.png

Immagine3.png

I have defined fixed arrays at the start of the cycle. What is the problem?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(3,566 Views)

use an indexer/counter to put the data into your array .... append will not work

Message 2 of 16
(3,561 Views)

Hi andrea,

I have defined fixed arrays at the start of the cycle. What is the problem?

You (want to) add new elements to a fixed-sized array. That is the problem!

As said before: replace elements in your array(s)…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 3 of 16
(3,559 Views)

Thanks guys. Is this a good way to acquire a digital signal? Are there better ways/express VI to do this basic task?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(3,548 Views)

When using replace instead of build array this way is ok, but it really depends on what you do with the data afterwards. Do you need to convert each bit to a I16 (throwing away 15 bits of the I16)? That will consume a lot of resources, 4 arrays of 500 I16 elements each. What do you do with the I16 arrays afterwards?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(3,536 Views)

First, I want to show these bit as zeros and ones, not with LED. I know this is a bad way to do because I waste 15 bit!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(3,532 Views)

Show where? On the front panel of the FPGA VI?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(3,528 Views)

yes

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(3,525 Views)

Well then this looks like a test application anyway, in that case I would not worry about inefficiency as long as the code fits on the FPGA.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(3,523 Views)

An FPGA does not have a front panel.  When you compile an FPGA, you are difining actual gates on the FPGA.  There is no display once it is deployed.  What you want to do is put these values into a DMA FIFO to pass the data up to the Real Time program.  You can technically show that front panel.  So your FPGA should just read these digital lines and put them in the FIFO.  No need for arrays in the FPGA.  The RT code can then build arrays, if you really want to do that.  But it is still better if you predefine your array and then replace elements as you go (a lot more efficient for the memory).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(3,500 Views)