LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Build array into timed cycle loop FPGA

Well for quick debugging I find it quite useful and simple to be able to show some values on the (inexistent?) FPGA VI front panel. I know that behind the scene the compiled code is deployed and there's some data transfer implemented to show it on the front panel of the FPGA VI which is open on the host PC, but I like the fact that NI takes care of that. No need to implement DMA or anything just for quick debugging.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(645 Views)

I'm a fan of this quick and dirty testing of FPGA code.  I mentioned that I did this to someone at NI and they looked at me like I had a cat on my head.  They asked why I would want to do that since the front panel only updates once every couple milliseconds at best.  I explained that for debugging and showing the latest value, it was super convenient.  Also having controls like a button that forces states of a state machine, or an indicator for debugging, is useful.

EDIT:  And yeah for the OP, FPGA must have fixed array sizes, the build array makes the array size grow and the FPGA can't have that.  Initialize the array with the number of elements you want, then do a replace keeping track of the pointer of the last write.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(624 Views)
Yeah, but 2013 has some AWESOME simulation schemes now that make all of that debugging very easy. And it all works inside of LabVIEW. Seriously, go look up the Desktop Simulation Node.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(613 Views)
I know it exists and I've been meaning to try it but it can't be easier than just running a vi.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(607 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:
I know it exists and I've been meaning to try it but it can't be easier than just running a vi.

Once you got it set up, it's better.  You have cycle accuracy for your inputs/outputs and you can still get/recieve data via your normal DMA and front panel connections.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(603 Views)

Yes, but sometimes you need some debugging with real hardware connected. That's when the FP controls can be very useful.

Otherwise I agree the simulation mode is more convenient (also saves a lot of time since there's no need to compile the FPGA VI).

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(580 Views)