LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Build XY Graph Express

I am trying to use an Express XY Graph in a VI.  The block diagram shows the Build XY Graph block with a "?" in it.  The help says use right-click Replace|all pallets| Select VI.  I did. But I can't find a simple XY Graph VI to put in the placeholder.  Where is it?  Where in the manual does it say what vi's can go in here?  Am I missing something fundamental here?

Max

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,857 Views)

Can you attach a VI, or at least a screen shot showing what you are talking about.

It is very difficult to help someone troubleshoot a paragraph.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,838 Views)

Sure.  I'm doing Bishop's Modern Control Systems tutorial.  He uses an Express XY Graph VI which looks like

MaxYaffe_1-1588557713957.png

When I place the same VI I get a poor cousin:

MaxYaffe_2-1588557791636.png

The help says to use the rightclick menu "Replace" to find the graph VI that supposed to go where the question mark is.  I can't find that.  If I replace from the Block Diagram I don't see anything that looks like the XY chart.  If I go to Select VI, I get right to the LV library and have no idea where to find the XY chart.  If I try to replace from the panel, and stick in the Express XY Graph, I get another error:

MaxYaffe_3-1588558260762.png

So I punted and just did a copy paste from Bishop's example.  (I wonder how much of Labview code is created that way because the programming UI is barbaric.)

Anyway - do you know how to populate the sub VI of the Build XY Graph vi?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,807 Views)

I've never seen Build XY look missing like that.

Since that node is yellow, is it possible someone converted that to a regular subVI, but then failed to attach it?

Have you tried going to the front panel, graph palette, then click Ex XY Graph?

That is how I know to drop that express VI.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,800 Views)

Hi RavensFan,

I see the same problem in my (private) LV2019 installation. (Somehow, somewhere there was a problem at installation time for this very specific ExpressVI. But as I don't use such ExpressVIs I don't miss it.)

Let's see if this problem vanishes once I update to LV2020CE…

@Max:

I didn't bother to correct/repair this problem because there are other ways to build plots for XY graphs. You may try to repair (or uninstall/reinstall) your LabVIEW environment. Or you may try to upgrade to LV2020CE as I will do in the next time…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,764 Views)

So should this issue be escalated to NI tech support?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,756 Views)