LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug in right click menu for decorations?

Solved!
Go to solution

I stumbled across something just now in LV 17 that seems to be a bug.  But a minor one in the user interface that hasn't seemed to cause any harm that I can detect.  I'm attaching a LV17 that demonstrates and includes the steps to witness it.

Basically I have two label decorations located on a tab control that I had selected together.  When I right click on them, the shortcut menu gives an option to "Change to Indicator".  That surprised me because I would have never thought to turn a label into an indicator.  If I just pick one label, or select multiple labels but they are set on the pane of the front panel, then this does not happen.  Clicking Change to Indicator seems to do nothing.  Upon further testing, this behavior occurred for other decorations like raised bevel boxes.

So something weird happens when multiple decorations that are rooted within a tab control causes the right click menu option of "Change to Indicator" to appear.

I just replicated it in LV 2014 as well.

Try it out and see if you have the same thing happen.  It seems like a bug.  But not one that causes any real problem.

Message 1 of 11
(3,382 Views)

2012 says "Change to Control". The bugs show no consistent behavior between versions.  Smiley Very Happy 

bug.png

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
Message 2 of 11
(3,375 Views)

In LV 2015 SP1 it thinks it's doing something, because the next time I right-click, it has the opposite.  i.e., if it was "Change to control" it's now "Change to indicator" and vice versa.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 3 of 11
(3,360 Views)

I also see the same behavior if you put the free labels into a cluster.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,358 Views)

Actually, it does do something.  It changes the container they are in to whatever was specified, I guess the same way doing that to a control or indicator in the container does it.

The weird thing is that you can have controls and indicators on a tab control, so changing a control on that tab into an indicator or vice versa will not change the tab itself accordingly, but doing that with the decorations does!

So it is more than just amusing.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Message 5 of 11
(3,349 Views)

Which leads me to another observation:

There's an odd attribute of tabs where, depending on the number of controls or indicators you convert, the tab either becomes a control or indicator and I haven't been curious enough to learn the specifics.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,334 Views)

@billko wrote:

Actually, it does do something.  It changes the container they are in to whatever was specified, I guess the same way doing that to a control or indicator in the container does it.

You're right Bill.  I didn't notice that.  Mainly because tab control terminals are usually never connected to anything, I didn't notice it changed direction, and there were no wires that would thus break.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,318 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

@billko wrote:

You're right Bill.  I didn't notice that.  Mainly because tab control terminals are usually never connected to anything, I didn't notice it changed direction, and there were no wires that would thus break.

I only noticed it because I noticed it did that to the cluster I put them into.  I was curious about the tab control.  So chalk it up to another oddity about the tab control, and I'm sure someone will add that to the list of reasons they despise tab controls.  😉

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,310 Views)

I think you're right on your point about the cluster.  Both clusters and tab controls are types of containers, so there is a common factor there about these decorations being part of a container.  (I would have never stumbled across it for a cluster because I don't think I'd ever have a reason to put decorations in a cluster.)

If you can think of any other front panel elements that are containers, I can't at the moment, I'd be curious to see if the same thing would happen there.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,305 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

I think you're right on your point about the cluster.  Both clusters and tab controls are types of containers, so there is a common factor there about these decorations being part of a container.  (I would have never stumbled across it for a cluster because I don't think I'd ever have a reason to put decorations in a cluster.)

If you can think of any other front panel elements that are containers, I can't at the moment, I'd be curious to see if the same thing would happen there.

I can't think of any at the moment.  And for me, placing decorations in a cluster is kind of an artificial scenario, also.

Now watch, NI will clean up the bug, then someone will lament that their favorite way of changing a cluster from a control to an indicator doesn't work any more.  😉

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,271 Views)