LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug? Right-click on Front Panel causes selection rectangle!

Solved!
Go to solution

Originally posted on LAVA: http://lavag.org/topic/12097-right-click-on-front-panel-causes-selection-rectangle/. This post contains an updated description of the problem.

Anytime I right-click on a control on the FP, and dismiss the context menu, I get a selection rectangle. If I don't catch it, moving outside the bounds of the FP will cause the FP to scroll to continue my unwanted "selection". So far this has been repeatable every time.

I noticed that the problem doesn't occur on the Controls pallette, only the context menu for controls. Also, if I mouse over the context menu before dismissing it, the problem doesn't occur. If I select an item from the context menu (which also dismisses it), the problem doesn't occur.

I am running LabVIEW 8.6.1f1 on Windows XP Home SP3.

-Ian

Message 1 of 13
(7,782 Views)

I had never noticed this before.  But, after watching the video in the other thread I was able to replicate it intermittently.  It seems like only some controls on my front panel did it.  Even when they were the same type of control, it would only do it with one of them.  I'm kind of amazed I've never encountered this before.  It's probably because I mostly use esc to close out the menus.

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(7,767 Views)

I once worked in a lab which contained a transformer with its incessant 120 Hz hum.  Just when I could tune it out someone would say "What's that hum?" and then it would annoy me again.  Similar story in a different lab which had a cooling water drain.  Just when I get used to the sound, someone would bring it up.

This behavior has p#$#ed me of on numerous occasions and I am mostly used to it by now.   At home I use a track ball mouse which covers a lot of real estate in a hurry so of course I am often scrolling a FP into never-never land.  Now you bring it up and I am having flashbacks... (Thanks really, it is time to get this fixed)

I have learned to spot the little circle in the crosshair cursor.  When it is missing, you are in selection mode.

Message 3 of 13
(7,758 Views)

Darin,

I've been using LabVIEW for a couple years now and never noticed that little dot! The things you learn from other people...

Also, for anyone else interested, I'm posting the video to this thread as well.

http://screencast.com/t/MDgwYjAwOW

-Ian

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(7,729 Views)

Hi Ian,

Thank you for posting this issue (especially the Jing video!).  This was reported to R&D (247186) for further investigation.  You can use that number to follow this and see if it is fixed in future versions of LabVIEW.

Jared S.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(7,683 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author iannicholson

On my primary machine I was unable to recreate this behavior which got we wondering.  Then it occurred to me, I have modified the ini file on this computer.  In particular, one of the things that bugs me is LV's tendency to have clicks in background windows be live.  Normally I would click to activate, then click away.  For a while I (and more often other users) wouldn't always look where that first click went.  To disable this I went to the LabVIEW.ini file and added the following key:

dropThroughClicks=FALSE

This stops the live clicking, and seems to greatly reduce the occurrence of this bug.  Your mileage may vary, but I have yet to get the selection when this key is set.

Message 6 of 13
(7,666 Views)

@Darin.K wrote:

dropThroughClicks=FALSE

I have confirmed that the problem is related to the drop-through click functionality, and that setting this INI token should make it stop happening. If anyone sees the problem with this config token set, please reply here (because it means there is an additional way to get this behavior that we need to find).

Christina Rogers
Principal Product Owner, LabVIEW R&D
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(7,539 Views)

Christina,

This does resolve the problem. I do miss drop-through-clicking though! Has this been fixed yet?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(7,197 Views)

Unfortunately, it has not yet been resolved. I will raise the CAR's priority.

Christina Rogers
Principal Product Owner, LabVIEW R&D
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(7,166 Views)

CAR 247186 discussed in this thread has been fixed in LabVIEW 2013. For a more complete list of bugs fixed in LabVIEW 2013, check the LabVIEW 2013 Bug Fixes. You can download an evaluation copy of LabVIEW 2013 at http://www.ni.com/trylabview/ or if you have an earlier version of LabVIEW installed and an active SSP subscription, you will be able to download the latest version of LabVIEW through NI Update Service.

Jeff Peacock

Product Support Engineer | LabVIEW R&D | National Instruments

Message 10 of 13
(7,063 Views)