cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug(?): Labview locks when adding a file to scc

Environment: 

LV 9 and 9.0.1 on Windows 7 with Team Foundation Server

Repro Steps:

1. Open a moderately sized Labview project.  (Mine has ~40 classes, 5 libraries, and ~320 files total.)

2. On the Source Control options tab, unselect "Display only selected files in Source Control Operations dialog box"

3. Add a new file to the project and save it to disk.  (Can be .vi, .txt, etc.)

4. Using any of the available menus (project explorer context menu, project explorer Tools menu, or the VI's Tools menu,) add the file to source control. 

Result:

Labview pegs one of the cores at 100% activity for longer than I have the patience to wait.  (One time I let it go for several hours.)  The only escape is to kill the process using Task Manager.

Expected Result:

If something is going to bring LV to a screeching halt, I'd rather the option to use it be worded more accurately.  "Disable non-recoverable project destruction mechanism" would be good.

Note:  This issue seems to only happen when adding files to source control.  Checking out and undoing previous checkout are slow, but they do return.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(3,435 Views)

Hello,

Does LabVIEW display any sort of error message after you kill the process and then reopen it?

-Zach

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(3,407 Views)
Nope.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(3,393 Views)

Hello,

Do you have any failure logs present in \My Documents\LabVIEW Data\lvfailurelog\ that are recent?

-Zach

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(3,357 Views)

Nope, the folder is empty.

I realize this is not much help.  I take it you can't replicate the problem on your end?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(3,343 Views)

Hello,

I have not yet been able to replicate the issue. Exactly what version of Team Foundation Server are you using? You mentioned that this happens with a moderately sized project. Does it also happen with smaller ones?

-Zach

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(3,326 Views)

iZACHdx wrote:

Exactly what version of Team Foundation Server are you using? You mentioned that this happens with a moderately sized project. Does it also happen with smaller ones?

I'm not sure which version of TFS we use... most likely the latest with whatever patches have been issued.  Very small projects don't exhibit this problem.  I have trimmed down my project significantly and I'm still seeing a delay time of several minutes before the Add To Source Control dialog box pops up.  If you give me your email address I'll send you a zip file of the guilty project.

If I deselect the "Include heirarchy when adding files" option the delay goes away.  I assume the issue is somewhere in the algorithm that searches the heirarchy.  Does the algorithm make repeated calls to the repository?  I used Process Monitor to capture network packets coming from TFsMsscciSvr.exe and it doesn't appear LV is querying the repository during this process.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(3,317 Views)

Hello,

The software version combinations are extremely important for reproducing issues. It would help a great deal if you can get ahold of those. By including the project hierarchy, you are finding all the dependencies of the project and add a significant amount of additional files that it has to go through. You are welcome to post your code here to the forum so that other may test them. If you cannot do that, I would suggest calling into technical support so that one of our Applications Engineers can work more directly with you.

-Zach

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(3,298 Views)

I'm trying to get the specific TFS version.  I'll post again if I can get it.

"By including the project hierarchy, you are finding all the dependencies of the project and add a significant amount of additional files that it has to go through."

Do you mean the "Include heirarchy when adding files" option goes through the entire project heirarchy even if I try to add a single file?  I thought it would just include any sub vis the new vi called, assuming the sub vi isn't already in source control.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(3,273 Views)
TFS 2008.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(3,260 Views)