LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Block Diagram Exteremely Laggy and automaticly moves parts and breaks itself

I am using LabVIEW Q3 2022, and the past day or two it has been extremely laggy and breaks itself. I move one component and it moves a dozen other components in the case structure (Different cases too) and ruins everything. It is also very jittery when I try to do anything or adjust stuff. It also continues to not respond when I try to do anything. Is there a way I can fix this? Also, would a flat sequence have a large affect on this?  In addition, whenever I move something, delete something, after it responds again, it puts me in the front panel, even though I never pressed anything to go there.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(802 Views)

@bfrise wrote:

Is there a way I can fix this? 

Yes, save what you can, and make new code that isn't "exteremely" large.

Without seeing anything, there isn't much else to say.

Hope you use your Source Code Control, because any day soon this will stop working all together. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(754 Views)

@bfrise wrote:

Is there a way I can fix this? Also, would a flat sequence have a large affect on this?

A FSS could affect this if it is large enough.  You description definitely sounds like you have too much in a single VI.  Perhaps you need a better architecture.  Or maybe start creating subVIs to handle specific jobs.  There are plenty of ways to reduce the size of a block diagram and avoid these types of issues.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(749 Views)

I have also had to deal with things like this in the past and would also suggest creating subVIs as the most practical way to try to get it under control, even if the subVIs don't make a lot of logical sense, as it's better to have something you can work with than a big mess. You just need to make sure that having subVIs doesn't change the behavior of the code (order of operations, etc.). If you manage to create VIs which operate purely on data (no reference to controls, etc.), you should be fairly safe.

Once you can work with it, you can also try refactoring the code/subVIs to make more sense.

(701 Views)

IS your diagram actually huge (lots of VIs and wires making you scroll to see it all)?  It's also possible that something else about your PC is affecting LabVIEW.  Have you closed all other programs and just run LabVIEW?  Does your task manager report 100% CPU usage of no memory available?  Did you just install or change something recently?

Definitely good advice about backing up and using version control.  That's the first step so you don't lose any code.

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(691 Views)

@NIquist wrote:

IS your diagram actually huge (lots of VIs and wires making you scroll to see it all)?

The diagram doesn't actually need to be huge to get into these problems.

Coordinates on the diagram are I16. If you start coding at a very large (pos or neg) coordinate, you get these overflows.

But since the default origin is 0,0, the usual way to get these problems is when the diagram grows. And grows. And grows...

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(676 Views)

The VI, or even a picture of the navigation window would be of interest.

Does the same thing happen if you open only that VI, without opening the project first? That has helped me when suddenly it takes 15 seconds just to move a wire, and when all LabVIEW windows starts to randomly shuffle their z-order when I save. 

Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(644 Views)