LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bind/Alias shared variable to scan engine variable

I have the attached labview project, settings on a shared variable and block diagram.  In my project I have a cRio that is using scan engine and reporting some RTD temps.  in My Computer I have a shared variable that I aliased to the scan engine variable on the cRio.  I thought this would make it so the shared variable on myComputer would report out the same as the scan engine variable on the cRio; however, that is not the case.  In the front panel you can see I get 0 for the myComputer shared variable while getting the correct value from the cRio scan engine variable.

Does binding a variable to a scan engine variable mean it will keep the same value?  Do I need to do anything extra?  I want to do it this way becuase I have a VI that finds all variables in the SystemParameter.lvlib file and does some stuff with them.

mstsc_2016-04-29_15-22-11.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,102 Views)

If your cRIO is the device that is generating the data, I believe that the shared variable needs to be hosted on the cRIO and network-published from there -- after this it can be accessed through the network by the PC.  It looks like your shared variables are on your PC in the attached image.  

Additionally, take a look at I/O Variables as the type of shared variable that you would use to pass the data directly through the Scan Engine to your host.

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361K-01/lvioscanhelp/io_vars/

In particular you might find the section titled Accessing I/O Variables Remotely useful.

Paul P.

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

Highest Regards,

Paul
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,064 Views)

I was trying to bind the variable on my computer to the PSP variable on the cRio.  Turns out that I was doing it correctly; however, I had a race condition between binding the variable and reading the variable the first time.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,056 Views)