From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Benchmarks?

Hi there, does somebody knows some benchmarks about the execution speed of Labview vs. C,C++, .net and some other Languages ?
The only thing i found was this

http://www.vi-lib.com/vi.lab/BenchmarkExecutionSpeedof.html

maybe someone make test with newer versions ?

greetings

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,092 Views)

Benchmarking languages is not easy to do since the speed of execution is most determined by the program efficiency.  Compiler and code optimization play a huge role in the results.  As for raw speed c/c++ will probably give the fastest results but I would guess that the difference in speed is less than a factor of 2x.  The real payoff in labview is the rapid development.  I would trade a 2x execution speed for a 10x development speed anyday.  What are you trying to do?  I have done some serious processing with labview without any issues since the PC has become so fast.  Also remember that dlls are often called behind the seen many of which were written in c/c++ anyway so you wont loose anything there.

Paul 

Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,089 Views)
Its not very important, just interesting.

The background of my question refers on diskussion in the Wikipedia forum. (German Labview Articel)
In my opinion there are only slight performance differences ...
but there are also some people saying that extreme performant code is only possible in c or c++
I am not sure about write down this as Fact.

greetings Thomas

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,079 Views)

As an former C programmer and machine language programmer I can tell you that I could always write faster code code in machine language than in C.

When a mainframe cost $3M and only had 2Meg memory and topped out at 1MHz, it made sense to spend extra human time making use of the limited machine resources.

We used to play games like "I can write that code in 15 lines..."

So with the exception of the most demanding applications, the difference in code performance only shows up in one version using 25% CPU whle the other takes 30%.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,074 Views)

Yes this is similar to the c vs assembly on performance.  When was the last time you broke out the assembler.  The fact is that compilers got so good at optimization that you had to be very good to out perform it using assembly, but at a great cost of development time.  I would be curious to see how the two languages do compare but I am not going to switch back to c.

Paul

Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,067 Views)