From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Beginner) Need help for a Labview program (Simple Data read out and Logging)

Hi guys,

this is my first post here and i try to be as attentive to the guiding rules, but please forgive if it's not the case.

So following problem: I need to develop a program, that enables the Read Out of certain data/parameters (Voltage, Current, Temperature, eventually other Data signals) via I2C. It would be nice to plot the signals in real time and additionally, it should be possible to log the data and store them in an Excel (or similar). So far, you could say it ain't that complicated but I'm a real beginner in Labview ... 😕 . So i need some guiding tips, which modules/elements in labview are useful for this use case.

My questions:

- What kind of modules should/can i use?

- What type of loops/structures are useful?

- How can i implement the I2C interface?

- Do you have an example program, that does something similar?

As you see, I'm really at the beginning and up until now i have the impression to have no idea how to navigate through the endless possible ways to get there.

Sorry for any inconvenience this could cause you. I would really appreciate your help, thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(699 Views)

Are you a student or a professional? how much is your budget?

The easiest way would be to get a USB-8452 device and connect your I2C devices to this instrument. Once you've done that, next is to understand how to use the USB-8452 by studying the bunch of examples available, next look at your sensor datasheet to know what address to write/read and then finally develop your automation to do all the sensor read in a single go.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(692 Views)

You'll be ready (perhaps) for I²C in six months (or a year) if you really are diligent about learning LabVIEW.  First, you need to master the basics, including learning to write "graphical" programs that have a 2D structure, use Data Flow principles, and (accordingly) give you access to "natural parallel processing".  LabVIEW is also the rare programming language that embraces "time" and a basic language element.

Learn DAQmx, LabVIEW's API for dealing with hardware.  Learn how to use (relatively-inexpensive) NI multi-function I/O hardware (some of which are specifically designed for the Academic market, i.e. undergraduate and graduate students).  If possible, find a LabVIEW guru on campus and try to spend some quality time learning from her (or him).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(681 Views)

@santo_13 wrote:

Are you a student or a professional? how much is your budget?

The easiest way would be to get a USB-8452 device and connect your I2C devices to this instrument. Once you've done that, next is to understand how to use the USB-8452 by studying the bunch of examples available, next look at your sensor datasheet to know what address to write/read and then finally develop your automation to do all the sensor read in a single go.

I might also toss out there that an Arduino Uno makes a great low cost I2C interface.

There's plenty of native Arduino code out there for most popular I2C peripherals that can be modified to work with LabVIEW to send data back and forth using VISA serial.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(630 Views)