From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic question

I have a system which has Ehternet, RS-232, RS-485, Profibus, Devicenet ports for communication. I have done RS-232 communication, but never had hands on with Ethernet, and other types mentioned.

Some commands what I have for RS 232 are same for ethernet, devicenet, profibus, so in this case should I just use VISA for ethernet communication by providing IP addr, or use specific TCP/IP api's?

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,213 Views)

You can use the VISA commands for the Ethernet communications. I suspect that you will need specific drivers for the Profibus and Devicenet communications. These are both different standards. Even though the command you send is th esame th e mechanism for sending the command is different.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Message 2 of 3
(2,201 Views)

That is the beauty of VISA.  you just need to know WHAT to send.  VISA handles the how.  Mark's comments on specific drivers for busses withou VISA support is also on point.  You may need to select a specific VISA session class if the device needs bus specific handshaking - but - usually the VISA Instr class can offer enough flexability if the device on the other end was well designed.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,195 Views)