LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad performance when exporting as .NET Interop Assembly

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a complex labview program that can run heavy calculation processes in parallel and have no problem using up most of the CPU-power on my computer (Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU) when running it in labview or as a compiled exe. The calculations finished reasonably fast.

When I try to export my program as an .NET Interop Assembly and then re-import it to labview it also runs at full CPU utilization (and finishes in about the same time), but when I run it from a c# process it looks like it only can use one core/thread, instead of 95% CPU it stays at 15-20%, and takes much longer to finish calculations.

Example:

image.png

Is there a special way to load labview assemblies to get the full performance or is there something else one should do to keep the multithread performance when running labview assemblies?

Code for loading and running my assembly:

Assembly lvDll = Assembly.LoadFile("lv_test.dll");
Type test = lvDll.GetType("InteropAssembly.LabVIEWTest");

// Rearm the simulation if the dll as been loaded before
MethodInfo run = lvDll.GetMethod("lv_test_run");

object[] dataParams = new object[] { paramfile, count, seed};

run.Invoke(lvDll, dataParams);

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(1,708 Views)

In C#, you don't have the luxury of automatic threading. All code runs in one thread. If you want more threads, you need to explicitly make them.

It seems that the LabVIEW method is simply being executed in the threads it's been given by the call: one.

Parallel for loops won't change this, they divide the clumps between the available threads.

I doubt there are ways around this. In C#, the model is explicit, and in LabVIEW it's all automatic. It just doesn't match.

I've never done this though. There is a small change off different results by using a different method for parallelization, but it seems the model is by design.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(1,656 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author skallen

All you need is to set "default" as Pref. execution system on the VI to get full performance.

JonoJensen_0-1633427791304.png

Message 3 of 10
(1,638 Views)

@JonoJensen wrote:

All you need is to set "default" as Pref. execution system on the VI to get full performance.

Have you actually tested that? In a VI build in an assembly, called from C#?

I hope it works...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(1,628 Views)

Yes it's been verified.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(1,625 Views)

@JonoJensen wrote:

Yes it's been verified.

Great. +1 for posting.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(1,623 Views)

Yes, worked like a charm, thanks 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(1,619 Views)

@JonoJensen wrote:

JonoJensen_0-1633427791304.png

I was skeptical that it would work, but I also knew that I didn't know enough about it to make a comment, so I waited to see if it worked before I said anything.  Great job!

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(1,615 Views)

@skallen wrote:

Yes, worked like a charm, thanks 🙂

You have a great post / kudo ratio (66%)!

Try to keep it up 😎.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(1,607 Views)

I am reminded that when building a dll, you should have the Advanced --> Execute VIs in private execution system checked to make it work as it does in LabVIEW (i.e., multithreaded).

billko_0-1633628289986.png

(It sounds suspiciously like an automatic way of doing what was suggested above.)

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 10 of 10
(1,554 Views)