LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatically connect the Internet via dial up connection?

Hi all,
I am using LabVIEW 6i. I require to connect the internet via modem. I want this to be done automatically. I read some of the discussion here which discuss some AT protocols. Sorry, but I am not aware of these protocols.
After this auto connection I want to get data from some links. I think this I could using URL property of the windows' browser. If some one has other options please let me know.
Thanking you.
Vishal Shah.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,230 Views)
It's been a while since I've had a dial-up connection, but all I remember doing is setting the browser properties to automatically connect when started.

The AT protocol is the old Hayes modem command set. For example, to dial, you would send the command AT Dn, where n is the phone number to dial. If you did a search on the Internet, I'm sure you could find a complete list of the commands if you really need them.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,230 Views)
Hi Dennis,
Thanks for the support.
In our application we require to make connection of flow controller which are connected through modems and using MODBUS protocols. So it require to connect different modem (number) at different interval. Due to this what ever you have suggested is applied only if I need to connect only Internet through it. But which is not our application.
So if you know about modbus protocols please let us know. Please guide us for this.

Thanks.
Regards,
Vishal.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,230 Views)
I'm not sure I understand your problem. Do you want to dial up a flow controller and talk to it via
Modbus? I am familiar with Modbus and modem connects.

Alan

"Vishal" wrote in message
news:5065000000050000009E5B0000-1011517314000@exchange.ni.com...
> Hi Dennis,
> Thanks for the support.
> In our application we require to make connection of flow controller
> which are connected through modems and using MODBUS protocols. So it
> require to connect different modem (number) at different interval. Due
> to this what ever you have suggested is applied only if I need to
> connect only Internet through it. But which is not our application.
> So if you know about modbus protocols please let us know. Please guide
> us for this.
>
> Thanks.
>
Regards,
> Vishal.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,230 Views)
I'm a little confused now. Your original post asked about connecting to the internet and getting some information from some links. Do you not have to do this and just have to connect to some modems? Are you asking now for just for the modem protocols?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,230 Views)
Hi Dennis,
Sorry for the inconvenience.

If you know about the protocols and the application please let me know.
Thanking you.
Vishal Shah
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,230 Views)
Hi Vishal,

I would like to take this conversation off-line due to the proprietary nature of our solution.

If anyone else is intersted in how we solved this problem, please feel free to e-mail me at

bar@DSAutomation.com

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,230 Views)
Hi Vishal,

I do not believe there is an "out-of-the-box" solution to your question.

We have developed an application that dials various sites periodically and talks Modbus protocol to query a variety of devices. It has been running for years with no problems.

Reply to this answer if you would like to ask follow-up questions.

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,230 Views)
Hi Ben,
Thanks for the reply.
I am very much intersted to know how to communicate such controllers using modem and modbus protcols.
Could you please help me to know which dll files(if any) or which ActiveX reference (if any) has to use for this. How should I approach the application, etc.

Thanking you. Waiting for your reply.
Vishal Shah
( email: automation@icenet.net )
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,230 Views)
This application that dials various sites; Was that done with Labview basic package or did you need extra drivers or software from NI?
Thanks, Bitwizz
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,230 Views)