cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic german control naming

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello all,

i would like to consequently name everything in my LabVIEW project in english. However, my german LabVIEW always generates german names like "Fehler (kein Fehler, Eingang)" or "sth (Eingang)" and so on.

This really messes up my project because all my other variable names are in english and i don't want to mixup german and english.

Could you please help me to locate the corresponding language setting (eventually in the "Werkzeuge->Optionen" Dialog) or find a workaround?

I tried search and replace with regex but this is still cumbersome.

Thank you!!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(2,684 Views)

AFAIK the only way to change the LabVIEW language setting is by uninstalling your (German) version and reinstall LabVIEW using the installer for English version.

ʍolɟɐʇɐp ʞuıɥʇ
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(2,669 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Labuser16383

You will have to install the english version of LabVIEW development system. But it should be no problem to use it with your present license key.

Greets, Dave
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(2,666 Views)

Ok, i will accept this as a solution. But i have a bad bad conscience about this.

On my opinion, the LabVIEW dev crew should be pursuated providing an appropriate language setting.

I see the point of having a localized dev environment.

However, the standard programming language language is english, AFAIK.

So it should be at least possible that the automatically generated inputs and outputs are named in english independently of the language setting of the dev environment.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(2,656 Views)

Hi Labuser,

the controls/indicators most often still use their English label, but show a German caption:

check.png

So you might also write a small VI to replace/delete those captions…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,653 Views)

That would be a good idea for reasons of sportiness. Smiley Happy

Badly, i have to get sth ready the next days. So no chance this week.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(2,637 Views)

Hi Labuser,

you can also place your own controls in the controls palette and choose them instead of the "original German LabVIEW" ones. So set up your error clusters (and what you need often, too) with corrected label/caption and put them in the palettes! (You could even prepare complete VIs - I often change the FP background color to "system background" instead of "LabVIEW ugly dark gray"…)

One time work, which often is used:

XKCD - Zeitersparnis.png

Best regards,
GerdW

Message 7 of 10
(2,628 Views)

Hey Gerd,

thank you for the table. I will present it to my colleagues and am looking forward to the discussions Smiley Wink

Greets, Dave
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,578 Views)

Thank you, too. Nice table.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,542 Views)

image source

Best regards,
GerdW