LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Rotating String Indicator

Hi all,

I'd like to create an auto rotating string indicator such as the LV News indicator you see when you open LV.

See below image:

LV News rotating string.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,527 Views)
You mean scrolling? You could write the string to the indicator and change the scroll point with a property node.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,506 Views)
You could also draw the text into a 2D picture control, that would let you explicitly control the text position to a pixel.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,501 Views)

I think Mike is talking about something like the image below. I loaded a string indicator with separate lines of text, made it transparent then sandwiched the indicator between two "flat box" decorations. Then I used a position proerty node to move the indicator up. Goes to show, you can do just about anything in LabVIEW. Some solutions are just more complicated than others.

Scrolling Strings_FP75.png

CLD
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,479 Views)

You can do a lot in LV.

I'm looking for a robust solution I can simply feed an array of strings into.

I guess it's like a neon sign which can rotate text within a confined area and I'm surprised controls indicators like this aren't built into LV.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,471 Views)

You could also use an array of boolean LEDs and make a scoreboard.  😉

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,441 Views)

@battler. wrote:
I'm surprised controls indicators like this aren't built into LV.

Why are you surprised? This isn't exactly standard behavior, so why should NI spend time on creating something like this, particularly when doing it yourself is really easy?

If memory serves, the method of changing the indicator position, already suggested in this thread, is the one actually used by the RSS ticker (although I would probably put it in a cluster rather than between decorations, but that's an implementation detail). If you want it in more than one location or to be really easy to use, you could use an XControl, but be aware that this will require running a parallel process which will handle the motion.

(3,408 Views)