cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio Output to Surround Sound System

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, All.

I am developing a 3D audio system for a flight cockpit in order to perform voice recognition applications. My problem is this: I want to be able to output sound to each speaker in the 7.1 SRS individually. In other words, I need to extrapolate on code that produces sound output to the left or right speaker of a computer. I have developed some LV code that will do that, but when I try to take it to the next level a 7.1 system I get nothing coming from speakers beyound the first two. I have notinced that the channels detected by the "Sound File Info" function is only two, even if I set the "Sound Output Configure" vi to seven. I should also mention that the PC's soundcard is providing the output to the surround sound system through an a/v receiver. Can anyone shed somelight on how I can get the code to see more than two channels and start ouputing sound to each speaker one at a time?? I really would appreciate the help. I am also going to attach the vi I have been working on. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,438 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author vehnasa1

Hi vehnasa1,

I've looked at your code, and I was able to get a third speaker to give output when using a multi-channel .wav file. I would make sure that you are using a .wav file that has more than two channels in order to get output for speakers past the first two.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,391 Views)

Tried the same with a code posted at

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Sound-output-only-on-two-channels-but-system-set-to-7-1-sound/m-p/20...

and got the same problem. I build a 7 channel sound waveform, but the LabVIEW sound vis don't seem to bring it right up to the Windows sound API 😞

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,375 Views)

Burrito,

that sounds like a plan. I will download some multi-channel .wav files ASAP. Understanding the big picture is great, but the details are what really getcha.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,366 Views)

@Henrik_Volkers wrote:

Tried the same with a code posted at

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Sound-output-only-on-two-channels-but-system-set-to-7-1-sound/m-p/20...

and got the same problem. I build a 7 channel sound waveform, but the LabVIEW sound vis don't seem to bring it right up to the Windows sound API 😞

7.1 surround sound actually has 8 channels instead of 7. Try running your VI with an 8-channel waveform and see if that gives you better results.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,330 Views)

tried everything from 1 to 8 😞

Actual I had two soundblasters giving me 16 channels and i was able to feed them with different sounds with a winamp, asio and jack combination .... however it wasn't very stable...

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,323 Views)

Hey, everyone, I used both your 4-channel and another 8-channel .wav file and have noticed that the “Sound Output Configure” VI is not recognizing more than two channels, even though I have hardcoded information for eight channels into it. It is simpelely ignoring that setup all together. I am sure that this is also causing it to not recognize the “Sony A/V Receiver” connected to the sound card of the PC. How can I get it, the Sound Output Configure vi, to see the receiver?? The receiver is connected to the sound card via a fiber optic connection or “Opt”. Could you please provide some direction on this matter??

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,304 Views)

According to the help documentation on Sound Output Configure, you should be able to select up to the number of channels that your sound card supports. I would make sure that your sound card can support multi-channel sound, and that it is configured correctly.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,262 Views)